Help › Forums

Re: J.C Sneed

Mon, Nov 21 2022 12:42 PM (73 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2020 9:33 AM

carlosdev:

Ooooo.... boy..

No clue what this is lol n never tried as well. 

I believe much of the JC Sneed thread has been removed at some point.  There are some references that you may be able to use the "wayback machine" to track down the original thread.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2020 9:42 AM
    I’m still boogering it up. It seems like the JC Sneed method works for downhill putts where the arch needs to be wider. 1st grid being Only 15” and all. But on uphill putts it seems like the tried and true, every grid including the first grid is 24” wide works. Ugh.....
  • MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Wed, Feb 26 2020 1:10 PM

tony.....jc sneed method is accurate for uphill putts too......but your dot counting has to be right......check out young46s video on the jc sneed method of putting.......

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Fri, Feb 28 2020 7:09 PM
    @Young46 Jason’s done JC Sneed on mobile. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5CTRFS-2PiQ
  • Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sat, Feb 29 2020 5:48 AM

Thanks Conner. That's the video that got me interested. Everything is starting to come together.

Like MGB01 said, the dot count has to be right. Working on getting that dialed in.

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 5:46 AM

There is no magic formula for putting.

Forget grids, in fact they're only needed to ascertain whether the slope is at 90 degrees to the hole or not. A slope that breaks 90 degrees will break more than one at 60 degrees.

Dots are more important than the grid.

Green speed and elevation must be taken into account which effects how much the putt will break.

This debunks any notion that there is a magic formula for all putts based on a grid. To suggest or think otherwise defies the laws of physics.

Essentially, buying into the idea there is a magic formula based on the grid divided into set figures is ridiculous, and a waste of time messing with. The Tooth Fairy and Leprechauns exist too..

The only formula one needs to know is how far your putt will roll over a given distance and elevation according to green speed and break.

Once putt weight calculation is settled then the fun begins. Read the line and picture the ball moving along the putting surface to the hole at the speed the putt is hit.

Always check the line using chip.

Be the ball

Mike

• Jimac55
    88 Posts
    Tue, Mar 3 2020 10:47 AM

I've been experimenting with dot counting for the last few weeks, not using JC Sneed but Naturali's method it's posted on forums somewhere. 

One thing I found is you don't need  an accurate count, you need a consistant count. I was missing wide a lot especially on uphill putts. So I actually timed my counting lol, using stopwatch on my phone. Turns out my count was way off but..but it was very consistantly off. 

I changed the final number Naturali used to divide till it matched my natural rhythm. It's now way more accurate. I don't blindly follow it but it's a great start point.

Lol I wouldn't use it match play it does take time but you get faster.

Naturali method: Distance to hole in feet minus elevation in inches, multiplied by Average dot speed in seconds across the grids, then divide by 1.25. Final number is number of inches you put the aim point up the hill side of the hole.

Remember if it's downhill your taking away a minus number so that's just adding.

Lol it's simpler than it reads.

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Wed, Mar 4 2020 12:44 AM

I have been using JC Sneed from the beginning and as mentioned before, it is predominantly relied on your counting “pace”. At first I was counting too slow and thought my formula was wrong but once I realized I needed to count faster, putts began dropping from various distances even up to 20+ft. Jason (Young46) posted an early version for pc back in the day as well as a mobile version for those trying to get a better understanding.  

What I have found works for me is that I’ve combined the information from both videos. Using information with the elevation break formula along with the new grid values I choose a point that has the strongest chance to fall on the high side and I set my sights to see that line. It may all sound crazy but I’ve kept track of my putting stats over the course of this time and it increases every month.

• MGB01
    1,469 Posts
    Fri, Mar 6 2020 4:01 AM
    Babzilla33:

I have been using JC Sneed from the beginning and as mentioned before, it is predominantly relied on your counting “pace”. At first I was counting too slow and thought my formula was wrong but once I realized I needed to count faster, putts began dropping from various distances even up to 20+ft. Jason (Young46) posted an early version for pc back in the day as well as a mobile version for those trying to get a better understanding.  

What I have found works for me is that I’ve combined the information from both videos. Using information with the elevation break formula along with the new grid values I choose a point that has the strongest chance to fall on the high side and I set my sights to see that line. It may all sound crazy but I’ve kept track of my putting stats over the course of this time and it increases every month.

thats a good steady % increase......keep it going well done
  • Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Mon, Mar 9 2020 1:45 AM

MGB01:

thats a good steady % increase......keep it going well done

Thank you kind sir, much respect & appreciation!

RSS