Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Titleist ProV1x lvl 87

Sat, Apr 11 2020 12:56 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2020 1:29 PM

Anyone noticing occasional distance swings with this particular ball? I like the ball’s performance characteristics but I am experiencing some rather large unexplained distance variances. Recent examples. Two tee shots at Wolf Creek, one in a 10 mph headwind, one in a 10 mph cross wind traveled 386 yds in the air before vaporizing OB. A 3 iron tee shot into a 12 mph headwind at Oakmont traveled 268 yds into some brush. A flat 5 iron in low wind and no elevation changes from the fairway will sometimes travel 205 yds and sometimes in excess of 220. The occurrences are random so I can’t anticipate them. I play mobile and yes the iron distances do include apparel enhancements, but the distance variations experienced far exceed anything my apparel will add. I am curious more than anything...

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2020 3:07 PM
    You just answered your own question.. apparel is most likely the case. That’s why I don’t have it.
  • Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Sat, Feb 22 2020 3:15 PM

Not apparel. With apparel my driver is rated 309 yds. It went 386 yds. 3 iron with apparel is 239. It went 268. No tail winds either. There seems to be something else operating here I think, but I have no idea what.

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2020 4:03 AM
    -
  • Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2020 4:36 AM

Thanks. It’s the bug with the ball idea I am toying with. Clubs and ball are all mapped and distance is normally consistent with the mapping. Just every so often up jumps the monkey and this ball just flies.

• callaghan159
    6,214 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2020 8:56 AM

Happens from time to time. Some even fall short. I had a tee shot go 57 yrds. Lmao. So unless your playing for a cool million dollars I wouldn't worry about it. I also use the Pro V's L 70.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Feb 23 2020 5:00 PM

Cicero733:

Thanks. It’s the bug with the ball idea I am toying with. Clubs and ball are all mapped and distance is normally consistent with the mapping. Just every so often up jumps the monkey and this ball just flies.

I definately agree, I've used the 87s for a long time now, and they definately have gone to hell.  Going to go to a cheaper ball, if I have to deal with the erratic behavior, I'll do it while saving money.  

• Mythanatos
    2,203 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 7:43 AM

Cicero733:
    A flat 5 iron in low wind and no elevation changes from the fairway will sometimes travel 205 yds and sometimes in excess of 220.

For most courses a flat 3,4,5 iron is going to go about 15 yards further than listed yardage of the club. St andy's will go even further (usually) unless hit into a upslope and it kills the momentum.

Cicero733:
    A 3 iron tee shot into a 12 mph headwind at Oakmont traveled 268 yds into some brush.

Club likely wasn't the 3iron and was probably the 3w OR you hit an apparel boosted 3i flat and got a forward kick.

• Cicero733
    2,292 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 8:41 AM

Believe it or not, but my 5 iron with apparel maps on the fairway to 207 1/2 BS and only 210 flat with this ball. The additional yardage you mention and I would expect with NBS doesn’t show up for this club. No idea why. In fact, with this ball, in order to achieve rated yardage, I have to hit 1/2 BS. FBS will reduce rated yardage by 7 or 8 yds. From the tee it does perform “normally” with ranges from 207 to 220.

The 3 iron shot was from the tee, apparel boosted, and was definitely a 3 iron hit into a 12 mph headwind. The 268 yds was all in the air, over the green directly into the brush. I was hitting for 245 yds. My opponent couldn’t understand the shot either. His one comment was to the tune of “something is wrong there”. 

I have another version of the Titleist that I sometimes use that does not perform as quirky as this ball. I moved up to this particular ball for the spin, meter speed, and additional distance. 

Since my original post, I watched a video of a round, whose I cannot recall and it might actually have been a live round, and the guy was playing the same Titleist ball and the same Callie irons. His approach shot on one hole was a 5 iron and he commented that he didn’t like hitting 5 iron with this version of the Titleist because the results were too inconsistent and he mentioned that at times he would hit a flier 20 yds further than normal with the 5 iron. I’m almost ready to conclude this ball is buggy.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Tue, Mar 31 2020 5:08 AM

yep.  remove all apparel except driver distance hat and glove.  it takes about a week, but you'll notice a pattern and consistency to your shots.  

• PAGES
RSS