Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Multiple Winners of same showdown

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 20 2020 10:08 AM (4 replies)
  • jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Wed, Feb 19 2020 10:50 PM

I played someone yesterday, in a coin room, and he asked how I won the December Showdown.....when he won it. I asked if he won this past December's showdown (to be sure) and he said yes. 

So, my question is: How many winners can there be in each division of the showdowns? Are we put into different showdowns at the beginning or after we've made to finals? 

It was my first showdown, and I played the Rookie one. He also played it. We both came in first place. I know that when I played, there wasn't a tie for first. I won by 2 strokes. 

How can 2 players (or more?) win the exact same showdown in the same division?

It's nothing but curiosity on my end...as well as the other player.

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 12:07 AM

There have to be multiple winners just as there has to be multiple leagues , as each league only has 100 players ! Look how many players there are . The leagues I believe are readjusted after each part of the showdown , I only know this as I see new names in the second and third parts , and of course 50 qualify , but the the elimination round goes back up to 100 competitors . The leagues also seem to finish at different times , and you can tell this by the number of players in the rooms at any given time. As there are two days to play in the first part of the showdown if someone starts immediately and someone starts after 1d 23 hours the end time of their league has to be different . What I don’t know is how many leagues there are in each , ie rookie, veteran etc , and that will be dependent on how many enter , so WGT can’t tell you that either until the showdowns first round is complete . 

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 12:29 AM

OK. Thanks for clarifying. 

I wonder if that's why many players wait until 1st qualifying rd is almost over, check the scores/players, then decide to play or wait on next qualifying rd.

My opponent had mentioned it to me. I don't pay any attention to others stats/awards, but evidently he was looking at mine and brought it up. So, I brought it up here to get an answer. 

I'm new to the coin rooms and showdowns. Just started playing them in December and haven't gotten familiar with everything, yet.

Thanks again bossbird

• bossbird
    2,192 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 4:05 AM

You are welcome . I don’t see the point of waiting to see till the end for a couple of reasons . 1. It’s not difficult to get thro the first round , and others will be added at the second stage anyway , so it won’t really matter. 
    2. the sooner you play and get all your rounds completed the higher up the leader board you will finish against those on the same score as you.
    so for example if -2 is the score where the 50 top players are cut off , sometimes people on -2 will qualify and sometimes -2 won’t , due to where you actually finish , ie 50 th place or worse . So to my mind the sooner you complete the better. 

• kingiling
    512 Posts
    Thu, Feb 20 2020 10:08 AM

True, finish time (earlier the better) is part of the tie-breaker algorithm, but there's other factors involved like scorecard playoff, etc.  It's in there on one of the rules tabs, but don't really see a reason to wait either.

RSS