Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Elevated Greens

Sun, Feb 23 2020 3:25 AM (22 replies)
  • Miaski0
    88 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2020 7:47 AM

Having a bit of difficulty lately with longer iron approach shots on elevated greens. Typically I’m overshooting by 20 yards or under shooting by 15 yards. Can’t seem to find a consistency with these approach shots. Any suggestions on how you are approaching these shots would be helpful. 

• Dave33200
    2,929 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2020 8:02 PM

Miaski0:

Having a bit of difficulty lately with longer iron approach shots on elevated greens. Typically I’m overshooting by 20 yards or under shooting by 15 yards. Can’t seem to find a consistency with these approach shots. Any suggestions on how you are approaching these shots would be helpful. 

Well, looking at your average I’m the last person to give you advice. Are you adding 1yd for every 3ft of elevation? 

• Miaski0
    88 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2020 9:12 PM

Roughly yes depending on wind and green contour along with green speed. 

I take advice where ever I can get it. If you got a method I’ll try it.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Mon, Feb 3 2020 8:16 AM

Miaski0:

Are you counting roll-outs as well? The WGT balls have little to no spin and thus are hard to stop on elevations. 

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Tue, Feb 4 2020 2:33 PM

Best to keep notes.Some holes the elevation and wind are fake.`And plenty of what I call trick holes out there.

• TopShelf2010
    10,876 Posts
    Tue, Feb 4 2020 3:27 PM

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Feb 6 2020 8:07 PM

Tigerpaw509:

Best to keep notes.Some holes the elevation and wind are fake.`And plenty of what I call trick holes out there.

+1 I always find them and mark them down

• johnniemo
    51 Posts
    Sat, Feb 8 2020 10:05 PM

Elevated greens make the ball come in flatter than a green at the same or lower elevation. Thus the roll out is considerably greater. Try subtracting different amounts from your shot length based on different height differences.

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Sun, Feb 9 2020 9:33 AM

If the green is elevated slightly (under 10 yards) I usually play the shot distance with little or no backspin and usually get rollout close to the required distance. If the elevation is high, I will go with a longer club but back off just a little on my stroke. Remember also to account for wind direction to determine club selection.

• Miaski0
    88 Posts
    Sun, Feb 9 2020 1:42 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. I’m still tweaking a few things but found what was wrong. Appreciate all.

RSS