Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Those who are struggling with consistency

Fri, Jan 31 2020 11:10 AM (2 replies)
  • pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Fri, Jan 31 2020 3:44 AM

I often get asked in Shanghai room how I am able to buzz 7 of the 9 holes (finishing the hole is a different story, but my approaches are usually pretty good).  

First thing I tell people is to remove all apparel, except driver distance hat and driver distance glove.  You'll be able to adapt to the varying distances easily with your irons. 

Then I get asked, what about the added iron distance and spin?  In WGT tournaments those things are disabled, and what you're looking for is being able to dial in your game without that stuff so there's no difference between a coin room game and a WGT tournament.  You have your iron spin rating and a ball spin rating.  That's all you need.

After that I tell them, play10 rounds and tweak as necessary, but hit the ball with the same spin (whether it's 1 click bs, 2 clicks covering a certain dimple, full spin..whatever, but use the same spin on every shot (except wedges)).  This will allow you to fine tune even more because now you know...if I have 157, using my 8 iron in this instant, and I go 2 clicks BS to cover up a particular dimple, hit full power and the ball falls short, I know, for 157, I need to reduce the spin.  The thing is, doing it this way will not change.  You are removing the apparel variable out of your equations and be better equipped for the credit tournaments.  

Eventually you will know every club in your bag within 3 yards, there are 1 offs where a shot may go much further or shorter than you anticipated.  All you gotta do then is adjust for wind and elevation because you know what every club will do since you're hitting every iron shot with the same spin.

Lastly....find a ball and stick with it. For me, i played around with different balls, but until I started using the level 90 Titleist (now 87), that's when things started to click.  Using the same ball round in and round out will provide that consistency and allow you to dial in the game even more.

• billycash74
    2,074 Posts
    Fri, Jan 31 2020 4:01 AM

very solid advice

• kipdog87
    2,046 Posts
    Fri, Jan 31 2020 11:10 AM

Well i think and play Pc so i love now having fun with a 300 yard bat BOOM, ok the greens are poor to read, but i like looking at picture books lol. 

Mick

RSS