Forums

Help › Forums

Re: MOUSE V THUMB??

Sun, May 17 2020 11:35 PM (8 replies)
  • PeterPerfection
    97 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2020 3:32 PM

Hey, Can anyone give me some feedback plz? If the new pc version is our game only using pc and a mouse can we be just good on that as we are on a touchscreen? I haven't tried yet but the idea is starting to appeal to me. In other words the Etour is not a closed shop if we can  be as good with a mouse as we are with our thumbs.

Cheers, 

Dave aka PeterPerfection .

• MarchieB
    1,524 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2020 5:56 PM

Any one can be good on either or both. They’re just a little different. It really is just about reaction timing and with practice you should be able to get ok with both (or at least similarly good/bad as the other type)

If anything I think using a mouse (PC) might be easier than the touchscreen on a mobile device. With a touch screen you have to hover your finger over the screen without touching it. This hover distance can vary and therefore (even if only a little) affect your timing. 
    With a mouse you can rest your finger on the button while waiting to hit it. This means that there is no distance variable and the timing should be more consistent. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2020 6:00 PM

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2020 10:40 PM

I’ve been playing mobile quite a bit recently, the ios 13 update allowed a bluetooth mouse to be used. It’s certainly easier to hit nearer the line as opposed to using your finger. I use a Logitech Pebble dual mouse, cheap at €20.

• ZirjoGondar
    94 Posts
    Sun, Apr 12 2020 11:30 AM

I'm a little late to the party, but just saw this thread.  I play exclusively on my phone.  I have had best results dinging the meter by resting my thumb on the bottom edge and resting my middle or ring finger on the top edge, and using my index finger to hit the ding.  It helps the brain calculate the hover distance better when the reference plane is between two other fingers (or digits), I think.  Works whether the phone is resting on a table or if held by the non-playing hand. 

• Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Mon, Apr 13 2020 5:16 AM

PeterPerfection:

Hey, Can anyone give me some feedback plz? If the new pc version is our game only using pc and a mouse can we be just good on that as we are on a touchscreen? I haven't tried yet but the idea is starting to appeal to me. In other words the Etour is not a closed shop if we can  be as good with a mouse as we are with our thumbs.

Cheers, 

Dave, I feel your pain as I’m trying to play more on the PCEA instead of my iPad. What I have found that works for me, is to go to your mouse settings and set the mouse speed as slow as it will go. This helped me with the early misdings.

Once I did that I went to my preferred driving range (Kiawah #1) and started practicing. It wasn’t long before I was getting dings.

I’ve also heard a gaming mouse works well too.

• pdiehm
    285 Posts
    Wed, May 6 2020 4:41 AM

sometimes if you hover over the ipad screen, it'll create a tap which stinks....or if you drop the ipad in middle of backswing.

that said, I have tried both on the pc and ipad, and I much prefer the ipad, though I think putting is infinitely more difficult on the mobile version than the PC version.

• BWerthy
    1,009 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2020 11:27 AM

ZirjoGondar:

I play exclusively on my phone.  I have had best results dinging the meter by resting my thumb on the bottom edge and resting my middle or ring finger on the top edge, and using my index finger to hit the ding.  It helps the brain calculate the hover distance better when the reference plane is between two other fingers (or digits), I think.  Works whether the phone is resting on a table or if held by the non-playing hand. 

I also am exclusively on my phone, I looked at your post and thought this was brilliant.  I went and tried it and worked well at first But then started to bother my finger. I then went back to how I hold the phone and realized that I am doing something very similar, which I am already comfortable with  

i have also tried using a stylus and found that I can swing and set the stylus tip back on the screen (without pushing) and then push it for the ding pretty okay. Probably not as good as my thumb since I use it all the time, but plan on practicing with the stylus. There is potential there. 

• Babzilla33
    909 Posts
    Sun, May 17 2020 11:35 PM

PeterPerfection:

Cheers, 

I have switched to a mouse and it is very reliable. No inadvertent taps on the screen or sensitivity issues when selecting items. The iPad cursor is round and can be used as a tool of measurement on the green as you can resize it to match the size of the cup (assuming you are using grid %s). Simple setup using Apple’s -lightning to USB- camera adapter can accommodate wired and Bluetooth mouses.

Cheers,

BABZ

RSS