Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Will WGT still work with flash?

Thu, Jan 16 2020 2:41 PM (7 replies)
  • seemorehair
    228 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 6:45 AM

Just wondering if someone continued using an old browser that supports flash will WGT servers still communicate with it? I work with linux computers and chrome and recently I had to revert to an older version of chrome in order to get it to run on a 32 bit machine. I was thinking maybe I could have a machine with old chrome and continue playing WGT on it indefinitely.

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 6:52 AM

I think that all depends on whether WGT pull the plug on the flash version. If they don't, then I don't see why your theory wouldn't work.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 6:58 AM

ScottHope:

I think that all depends on whether WGT pull the plug on the flash version. If they don't, then I don't see why your theory wouldn't work.

But Scott because WGT theoretically won’t use the flash version, they would never update it, surely after a while the game would become unplayable?

Just an assumption from a non tech person 

• seemorehair
    228 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 7:05 AM

andwhy67:

But Scott because WGT theoretically won’t use the flash version, they would never update it, surely after a while the game would become unplayable?

Well, flash runs on the browser, not the servers, so not sure how they could "pull the plug" on flash. 

EDIT: Actually I think the servers need to running SWF (Shockwave Flash) files in order to work with the browser so yeah, they could totally shut it sown.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 7:58 AM

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 9:29 AM

TopShelf2010:

seemorehair:

andwhy67:

Well, flash runs on the browser, not the servers, so not sure how they could "pull the plug" on flash. 

EDIT: Actually I think the servers need to running SWF (Shockwave Flash) files in order to work with the browser so yeah, they could totally shut it sown.

I fully understand that long time pc players, or even those that have joined recently for that matter, would like to see the flash version continue. However, with that being said, WGT has prepared and provided an alternative to the flash version.

Yes, switching from the flash version to the new version is a difficult pill to swallow. Most players that have tried the switch are having difficulty with the most important aspect of the game... putting.

You have two choices... 

1). Ride out the flash version until it disappears. Then face the difficulties of the new version head on. Or...

2). Download the new version and gradually learn the quirks... just like you did when you first joined WGT. That way when flash is no more you will not be completely turned off by the game.

In my opinion, those that are hoping/praying the flash version will continue forever are simply in denial. You would think that if there was a way for the flash version to continue, WGT would not be making the effort that they are implementing/developing the new version.

Don

Don, 

I have for the last couple of months been playing the mobile version, mobile, not the PCEA version and the putting is a killer, especially the short breaking putts, but I do like the aspect of gameplay, played the flash version a few times and it now seems weird. 

I have downloaded the PCEA version, tried it a few times and wasn’t impressed, admittedly that was several weeks ago, not been back since, but to me it’s the same as what I’ve been playing, so I’m thinking why not just stick with the mobile version, I don’t know if there’s going to be much difference between the two when flash goes.

I know somewhere I read from Champ that they’ll be no alt shot for the mobile version, this I don’t think applies to the PCEA version this year, I like so many liked the social aspect of the alt and match play games.

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Jan 3 2020 9:48 AM

• salamicus
    1,016 Posts
    Thu, Jan 16 2020 2:41 PM

In my opinion WGT has to improve their PC version till the end of this year.. I mean,graphically and gameplay wise... It currently doesn't look like game from this decade. By how it looks and plays now, I don't think it will have any hooks for some new potential player... and some number of the old ones may leave cause they like only flash ver.  So, I wish WTG best of luck..

Nik

RSS