Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Losing One's Edge

Mon, Dec 16 2019 6:29 AM (4 replies)
  • Slimjim001
    1,023 Posts
    Wed, Dec 11 2019 7:56 AM

In the few years I have been playing WGT golf, I have been fortunate to have known a few of the top players in our virtual world.   Based on what it took me to achieve what modest success I have had, I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for them to acquire such amazing skills….but then there is that old line, “what goes up must come down”. Of those top achievers I have known, there was one particularly who I got to know well enough that he shared with me some of his personal struggles with losing his edge. He said he knew he would never get any better and as a matter of fact, he sensed his skills were waning. That didn’t sound like a such a big deal to me…then… but I have since come to understand that it was almost a death blow for him. I’m betten’ that for many of the WGT over achievers, there is no Seniors Tour. I could see my friend losing his interest in the game. I encouraged him to stick with it and maybe to help up-n-comers. That didn’t ring well with him. I think I must have been trivializing his frustration. Hmmm, maybe there should be a Seniors Tour, a new horizon, a place of honor for these deserving trail blazers. Think of the possibilities. Losing one’s edge may not need to be losing one’s place in our WGT world. Just a thought.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Wed, Dec 11 2019 9:51 AM

Great idea and very nicely worded...you came across empathetic and sincere. We all face the tide of time and whatever skills we have, in real life or on here, will most certainly degrade.

With the upcoming demise of the current platform, I would think that many old faces will disappear and many new ones will appear ...personally, mobile is not for me and I will go the way of the dinosaur. That said, it would be nice if they had a seniors tour, or something similar for these folks to showcase their skills during the final year of Flash.

ct

• craigswan
    30,834 Posts
    Fri, Dec 13 2019 2:38 PM

jings guys - this is depressing .

try and cheer up .

Two Mexican detectives were investigating the murder of Juan Gonzalez.

‘How was he killed?’ asked one detective.

‘With a golf gun,’ the other detective replied.

‘A golf gun?  What’s a golf gun?’

‘I don’t know, but it sure made a hole in Juan.’

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Fri, Dec 13 2019 5:22 PM

Hey Jim,

What a great thought! I think I know who you're talking about.

He's one of the greatest theorists this game has ever known and actually my putting method is essentially based on his formula. He was kind enough to take his own time to thoroughly explain and answer all my questions when I started off.

His frustration is fully understandable. Once you played like a god and facing the fact that the age is catching up on you slowly but surely... Something that each one of us will have to deal with sooner or later. I did my best to show my respect and gratitude to him but it will never be enough to express my full sentiment.

I just want him to know that many know and remember what he has  achieved and accomplished. Immortal as long as the game exists.

Simon

• Slimjim001
    1,023 Posts
    Mon, Dec 16 2019 6:29 AM

I recently had a chat with another top tier pioneer who reminded me that WGT is a for-profit business and is unlikely to place much value accomodating such a nostalgic notion as a seniors tour. I don't know about the spending habits of other WGT seniors but as a 75 year old retiree, I spend a boat-load of money on this game, far more than I spend on the real thing and I doubt I am all that unusual. For me, this game is much more than just whacking a virtual ball around virtual golf courses. In my opinion, the comradery we develop is every bit as important as the game itself. I sure hope that doesn't get lost in the development of the new platform.

Jim

RSS