Help › Forums

Re: Showdown Issues

rated by 0 users
Wed, Feb 19 2020 4:10 PM (38 replies)
  • Infyniti
    27 Posts
    Mon, Dec 9 2019 1:45 PM

How the showdown is patently unfair:

The order of the holes is different. This affects the tiebreaks. The green speeds are different. Green speeds are Completely random as is the wind STRENGTH.  We all know certain courses are much harder than others with 12 speed greens. Or if someone gets HIGH winds.

High cross winds and head winds are generally bad but if they get the right tailwind on a par 5 or a par 4 all of a sudden eagles come into play that others don't even have the opportunity for. Even if the other player got a tailwind with low winds they might not be able to make it. 

How hard can it be to Tier everyone for this? Tour Legends and above in Expert. Legends in Veteran. Everyone else in Rookie. And of course can play higher if you wish.

And bump back the tees. You have the best of the best playing from the Master/Tour Master tees. The EXPERTS should by definition be playing from the back tees.

Anyone else tired of apologizing to lower level players for taking their coins? I feel badly for them. the game is forcing Bellagio players to play in Montreal. It's just wrong to put us in that situation where for the most part  they have very little chance of winning. 100k to low level characters means A LOT. To Bellagio players it's equivalent to pennies or less.

Order of holes and conditions for a clubmate in Expert.

Pebble high 12

Oakmont high 12

Wolf Creek high 10

Kiawah low 12

St Andy High 10

Chambers 12

Order of holes and conditions for Me in Expert:

Kia high  7.4

Pebble Medium 10

Oakmont High 12

Chambers Medium 7.9

Wolf High 7.9

St Andy Low 10

Now if  i told you that the clubmate and I were fairly equal players which one do you think would probably have the better score?

-L

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, Dec 9 2019 2:17 PM

flatstick96:
    how is what he's describing any different from tierless ready-go or bracket tournaments? 

you make some good points... but in regards to this …one difference as I see it... in tierless ready go's everyone signs up for the same wind and green speed... yes, those winds can still vary but everyone knows they are playing CB on T12 greens...  this is NOT true in the showdown... one person may draw CB low winds and 9 greens while another may get CB heavy winds and T12 greens... 

Do you think or feel both players are being offered comparable playing experiences... there simply appears to be a lot more randomness in the coin games/ showdown event.

while WGT may counter that everyone will experience at least one heavy wind round, I believe it goes without saying... all heavy winds on every course are in no way comparable... so it is entirely plausible for one person to have 3 looks at eagle whereas another may only get 1 or no looks at eagle while putting.  That can be huge difference.  

again, I am not saying the event is without merits... but there are some distinct issues that directly impact scoring - the disconnects and WD's being one... sometimes you are allowed to finish your round, but not always.   at least not yet.  

Also, in a RG... I can assess the event, wind, green speed and entry fee prior to signing up.. it falls on me when I choose the event.  in the showdown, you go in dark...

In a RG on CB and heavy winds, I may play a different ball than I would if I played Bandon Dunes or Pebble Beach... sometimes knowing the course and condition allows you to setup your club/ apparel to give you better options... RG's you can make changes... you can't do that going in blind in a showdown.

Sometimes a 3wd with max distance is better than apparel boosting your iron distances.  We can't make those changes in a showdown because you don't know what you get until you  hit play.  Ready Go's you can add a wedge or take out 3wd .. in coin games there are even more ways to tweak your clubs for optimal playability.

Sorry for rambling, but just wanted to point out a couple differences.

• mrm6400
    1,787 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2019 5:46 AM

So as I read the post of others I come to the conclusion that WGT has a ways to go in working out the kinks of merging the mobile and pc game. 

I played the Harvest Showdown and did not realize there were different tiers.  I just clicked and played so I was in the rookie tier and did not know it.  I was able to finish and qualify and wound up having some connection problems in Championship round that cost me 6 strokes as it gave me bogeys for 6 holes because I could not play them since the connection was lost.  Finished 3 under and got one individual ball that has been long gone..

I tried playing the Snowed In Showdown and again I was not aware of tiers so I played under the rookie tier and scored 7 under for the qualifier.  Was in 6th place and then when the elimination round began it said I did not qualify for the next round.  Bummer.  The level or tier that you are entered in should be automatic.  When we play a monthly or weekly tournament we just play and it knows you are a Legend or Champion or which tier you are at for that moment.  Showdowns should be handled the same. 

Fairness should be at the top of the list for every person entering a tournament like this but seems like WGT has a ways to go to achieve this.

I would just like the opportunity to compete for prizes since there are not enough videos to watch anymore.  I depend on the videos for credits and so I have not been able to find enough credits to really make a difference so I end up using the free unlimited ball a lot and we all know you want win a thing using that rock. 

Thanks,

Michael

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Tue, Dec 10 2019 9:42 AM

el3n1:

flatstick96:
    how is what he's describing any different from tierless ready-go or bracket tournaments? 

you make some good points... but in regards to this …one difference as I see it... in tierless ready go's everyone signs up for the same wind and green speed... yes, those winds can still vary but everyone knows they are playing CB on T12 greens...  this is NOT true in the showdown... one person may draw CB low winds and 9 greens while another may get CB heavy winds and T12 greens... 

Do you think or feel both players are being offered comparable playing experiences... there simply appears to be a lot more randomness in the coin games/ showdown event.

while WGT may counter that everyone will experience at least one heavy wind round, I believe it goes without saying... all heavy winds on every course are in no way comparable... so it is entirely plausible for one person to have 3 looks at eagle whereas another may only get 1 or no looks at eagle while putting.  That can be huge difference.  

again, I am not saying the event is without merits... but there are some distinct issues that directly impact scoring - the disconnects and WD's being one... sometimes you are allowed to finish your round, but not always.   at least not yet.  

Also, in a RG... I can assess the event, wind, green speed and entry fee prior to signing up.. it falls on me when I choose the event.  in the showdown, you go in dark...

In a RG on CB and heavy winds, I may play a different ball than I would if I played Bandon Dunes or Pebble Beach... sometimes knowing the course and condition allows you to setup your club/ apparel to give you better options... RG's you can make changes... you can't do that going in blind in a showdown.

Sometimes a 3wd with max distance is better than apparel boosting your iron distances.  We can't make those changes in a showdown because you don't know what you get until you  hit play.  Ready Go's you can add a wedge or take out 3wd .. in coin games there are even more ways to tweak your clubs for optimal playability.

Sorry for rambling, but just wanted to point out a couple differences.

If there’s another showdown, I suggest players write down wind condition and green speed for each course they played, and the community can compare among themselves to see if there’s any discrepancies. 

• CaverNolema
    10 Posts
    Fri, Jan 24 2020 5:39 PM

TheProeb:

I agree.

I also don't understand the need for this to be a head to head competition. If you want to break down rounds into three hole increments fine, add a timer too if need be, but the fact that opponents have zero significance toward a competitor's results, yet can negatively impact their final scores is ridiculous.

I also am perturbed over the lack of customer service during the event. I played the first two showdowns without issue miraculously, however, in the final 3 holes of the final round of this showdown I couldn't find an opponent to be matched up (again ridiculous in an of itself) so I cancelled the search and resubmitted only to find that "my showdown had concluded" because I had "played all the holes." I figured this would sort itself out, but nope, I was given 3 bogeys moving my score from -12 through 15 holes (4 shots out of first place in my veteran division) to -9 for the round (good for a 67th overall finish). A far cry from the prizes missed out on from 3 more pars or better.

I guess my only real option would've been to let the "finding opponent" search to continue for however long it would've taken.

I would've at least liked the acknowledgement that WGT received any of my requests for assistance over the weekend, but I'm not holding out hope at this point.

I am seriously irritated to have had the same thing happen to me a little while ago.

I was in the 2nd round of the Totally Rad Showdown. . I don't expect to win these things, but I do take them seriously as far as qualifying goes.

I had a decent round going and was well on my way to getting into the final round.

I also couldn't get an opponent to come up, so I cancelled.......couldn't get back in and took 3 bogeys. I doubt I'll get in, now. 

I hate being stuck with that. I have never quit in the middle or forfeited any matches. 

This really makes me not want to bother with tournaments, anymore..

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2020 3:05 PM

Sad to say but this is not a new issue... It has been occurring before the showdowns started and it has continued after the showdowns were introduced … previously WGT would reimburse you your coins but in the showdown event, it is unlikely that they are capable of correcting a scorecard and that has much bigger ramifications on the showdown event.  -- just one of the reasons I quit playing in them.  

What is more discouraging.. is they appear to have addressed some players frustrations with endless waiting for the new match play feature offered on the PC EA version and reportedly implemented a timer feature that kicks you out after a certain time has passed. 

If they can do that for the match play feature.. why not implement the same timer feature for coin games to avoid people being charged coins for matches they are never notified of being given and worse being given bogies for holes in a showdown... if a match up doesn't occur within 45 seconds --- the same amount of time players are timed out for in a game for a shot... then the player is sent back to the lobby to look for a more active room or reinitiate another coin game in the same room --- without being charged for a match they were never notified of being made --- if they are given a match, at the very least... you should be prompted with " are you sure you want to forfeit the match" which you get when you are in a match and go through the steps to properly forfeit rather than leave your opponent hanging.

It really appears they have the ability to rectify this issue, yet it remains and has remained without being corrected.  

Again, showdowns are promising feature added to the mobile platform, but this is sadly an ongoing issue that still goes uncorrected.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2020 3:22 PM

I should say... I was fortunate to experience the bugs and issues from the very first showdown right off the bat. LOL

I've never played another one and even looked at it since then. As many are saying it, what shocked me the most is the host, the company does not do anything about the issue itself and for the people who got affected by it.

One of the many reasons why I'm quickly losing my interest in the game...

• Connorjwebb123
    421 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2020 7:57 PM
    There’s just so many issues.. doubt I’ll be doing a showdown again unless they’re fixed or I can play by myself which should be the case
  • sammey1
    679 Posts
    Sat, Jan 25 2020 8:54 PM

Edit - I found my answer

• rorys1fan
    54 Posts
    Sun, Jan 26 2020 1:23 AM

TheProeb:

I agree.

I also don't understand the need for this to be a head to head competition. If you want to break down rounds into three hole increments fine, add a timer too if need be, but the fact that opponents have zero significance toward a competitor's results, yet can negatively impact their final scores is ridiculous.

I also am perturbed over the lack of customer service during the event. I played the first two showdowns without issue miraculously, however, in the final 3 holes of the final round of this showdown I couldn't find an opponent to be matched up (again ridiculous in an of itself) so I cancelled the search and resubmitted only to find that "my showdown had concluded" because I had "played all the holes." I figured this would sort itself out, but nope, I was given 3 bogeys moving my score from -12 through 15 holes (4 shots out of first place in my veteran division) to -9 for the round (good for a 67th overall finish). A far cry from the prizes missed out on from 3 more pars or better.

I guess my only real option would've been to let the "finding opponent" search to continue for however long it would've taken..

Having been bitten by this in previous showdowns, that's exactly what I do now. Just hold out until you get someone to play. So far, I've had to ask for refund in two showdowns so far. At least they've been good about that part

RSS