Help › Forums

Re: Ready Gos Devalued? Lower entry fees

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 26 2019 8:40 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DampandDusty
    125 Posts
    Thu, Dec 5 2019 12:59 PM

I must admit I haven't looked at Ready Gos for a while, but when I went to play one today on a whim, a lot of the relatively higher value tournaments 200 credit, 300 cr, even 100 cr entry, seem to been downgraded to 50cr, 25cr, even 10cr entry!!

I presume this is a recent thing and that the best players (not me - I'm only a Legend, I mean Tour Champs) who rely on these Ready Gos to earn credits to buy expensive balls might be slightly up in arms? Obvs payouts are much lower.

Discuss?

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Thu, Dec 5 2019 4:24 PM

I noticed them a few "cycles" back... actually thought it was a mistake at first... but then they began to reoccur in the following RG cycle...  not sure the rationale... may be good for WGT but at that kind of ROI, it would be easier to click through videos and save the ball hits for another tournament.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Dec 6 2019 12:20 AM

DampandDusty:
    I must admit I haven't looked at Ready Gos for a while, but when I went to play one today on a whim, a lot of the relatively higher value tournaments $200, $300 even $100 entry, seem to been downgraded to $50, $25, even $10 entry!!
    There are hardly any $$ to be won here, certainly not in RGs. 300 credits, the minimum purchase, OTOH, may cost 3 USD when you buy them but have "no monetary value", quoting the T&Cs. We don't even own them but just the software license ;)

No offence intended towards you, but I'm afraid that your example shows the success of the company's brainwashing displays, suggesting big money wins - nothing but dubious carrots!

• DampandDusty
    125 Posts
    Fri, Dec 6 2019 4:28 AM

alosso:

DampandDusty:
    I must admit I haven't looked at Ready Gos for a while, but when I went to play one today on a whim, a lot of the relatively higher value tournaments $200, $300 even $100 entry, seem to been downgraded to $50, $25, even $10 entry!!
    There are hardly any $ to be won here, certainly not in RGs. 300 credits, the minimum purchase, OTOH, may cost 3 USD when you buy them but have "no monetary value", quoting the T&Cs. We don't even own them but just the software license ;)

No offence intended towards you, but I'm afraid that your example shows the success of the company's brainwashing displays, suggesting big money wins - nothing but dubious carrots!

I'm fully aware credits have no monetary value. I was just using $ as shorthand for credits.

Credits are however the in game currency. We ALL need them to buy balls, clubs etc. As you well know.

If we don't accumulate credits by winning them in tourneys or acquiring them via videos etc, then we will need to spend IRL $ or £ or yen or whatever to continue in the game without having to play with rocks or have better clubs. As you well know.

For your benefit I will amend the original post to say credits.

So no, I haven't been brainwashed. Although sometimes in this modern world I think it might be preferable...

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Fri, Dec 6 2019 7:50 AM

DampandDusty:
    So no, I haven't been brainwashed. Although sometimes in this modern world I think it might be preferable...

Am not sure he was suggesting you have been brainwashed, but rather those who potentially perceive RG's as a way to make money...

In a different thread I worked on a couple spreadsheets figuring the ROI on entry fee for RG's... I did this while playing as a Legend... 

Those projections would have to be altered in a different way now that I am faced with more open tier RG's.  You now have to estimate your odds of finishing in the top 10 as well as the possible ROI while competing against the best players in the game.

Let's say my odds of finish top 10 are 1 out of every 4 tries … your "wins" need to also cover those times you are losing credits as well.  Unless you are winning at a very high rate, which the best players can, but not necessarily the rest of us...

The average player (or brainwashed player he was referring to) is possibly only thinking of the occasional win and feel good about that, but they are not looking at or calculating how many times they are virtually just feeding the sharks (top players) their credits.

So, what may have been a winning score as a Legend may not even get you in the top 10 in the open field -- you can't make mistakes and still finish top 10... you can afford maybe one missed putt maybe 2 on some courses and heavy winds but you basically have to play your best round nearly every time.. how often will the average player do that?

It may be an extreme example but look at one of the current closed B9 WC RG's --- you had to post a 10 under par just to crack the top 10 and 12 under won it.  

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Dec 6 2019 8:47 AM

DampandDusty:
    I'm fully aware credits have no monetary value. I was just using $ as shorthand for credits.
    Good.

Nevertheless, it's a difficult analogy, given the faux displays of earnings in $.

And no, I didn't point to RG players.

• wleiss
    6,254 Posts
    Fri, Dec 6 2019 10:45 AM

DampandDusty:
    I presume this is a recent thing and that the best players (not me - I'm only a Legend, I mean Tour Champs) who rely on these Ready Gos to earn credits to buy expensive balls might be slightly up in arms?

I think you make a good point. I have to admit I was more than a little surprised to see a few of the best players in the game in a 50 credit Ready-Go I played the other day. Now I know why. There are fewer alternatives. Maybe WGT is counting on people who know they are going to lose being more willing to lose 50 credits than 100 credits. I'm not sure the money that is being lost by the top players due to the smaller purses can be made up by watching videos. Video watching is not real consistent these days. 

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Dec 6 2019 11:39 PM

I'm not sure if they be downgraded or not as I don't play the ready go's anymore. 

To make credits in any one is you need to score in the low 50's now and I don't bother anymore as I'm not that good.

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Sat, Dec 7 2019 3:21 PM

I play and enjoy RG's. Like Mantis said, I'm not good enough to win so I just play for fun.

And... Donate to the cause

• BOZskills
    388 Posts
    Sat, Dec 7 2019 6:52 PM

Don't credits whether won or aquired some other way have actual monetary value? I believe i read in another thread that they can be converted to gift certificates with certain companies.yes or no anyone?

• PAGES
RSS