Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Restore spin to wedge on green or remove all aids for approaches and putts as well!

Thu, Oct 31 2019 4:59 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:00 AM

el3n1:

borntobesting:
    Not sure why he thinks the option is gone.

I am not supporting his post, just clarifying that it could depend on whether your android has updated.  When I tried on a Samsung tablet, using FBS appeared to be gone.  When I checked the early access version, where it was confirmed as being at one point, I was unable to use it there as well.

There are so many different mobile platforms, versions of software, and settings on personal devices, it is possible for some people to still observe it after others have viewed it as no longer being available.  I think it is a matter of time before it is unavailable on all platforms/devices.  That's my guess.  good or bad, it is what it is... 

I thought I had edited my post. After yesterday's IOS update they did remove the option to put spin on the ball ob the greens, At least for my Samsung Tablet the options to put spin on the ball on the green is still there. I am going to check and see it there is an Android update that just hasn't been downloaded yet. Yes there is an update waiting, I will install it and see if the option is gone on android as well I am assuming that  it is gone on both. Yes the option is also gone from Android. But why cry about it. It has been gone from the flash version for several years. And the players who use wedges on the greens are still doing it with much success. You just learn to adapt. 

However the option is still there on the new PC version, But it will probably be gone there soon too.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 3:54 AM

hpurey:

Was the OP even around when we could use spin on the greens?  Seems like an odd complaint for someone who joined just a little over a year ago.

Sure back before he restarted

• jjscotmanUK
    26 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 10:04 AM

IMHO I consider WGT removing the option to add b/s to balls for wedge or pitch shots on green is tantamount to them unilaterally tampering with the laws of the real game where such shots are perfectly legal.

I have no idea why they would choose to do this and would be grateful for an explanatory response from one of the WGT staff.

Perhaps also there could be an explanation why b/s on greens is not allowed but artificial aids like PutterPal seem to be perfectly permissible.

Awaiting a response from WGT and many thanks in advance

• MattSutherland
    95 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 10:44 AM

I wouldn't even say they're "whiners" or "cheats", really. They're just people who have deluded themselves into believing that WGT has to be this realistic and pure representation of the game of golf. It's sanctimonious and ridiculous. This is a video game - it's supposed to be fun.

But sure, I agree, if we're going after this particular feature, then let's eliminate putter pal and previews as well. The green suggestion bar on mobile isn't a true representation of the game either so I'd eliminate that too. And most importantly, I'd axe the ability to adjust spin rates manually. If a realistic simulation is what people want, then let's do it.

• slashcity1
    999 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 12:21 PM

I think WGT shot themselves in the foot with this, it was the only time I really used spin - no need for higher priced balls with lots of spin anymore, I'll gladly sacrifice a couple extra yards on the drive to spend 500 less credits on a sleeve.

• BHenke2
    397 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 4:16 PM

The best part of this thread is watching all the people who say they will quit playing, quit buying balls, tell WGT they are running their business wrong and I could go on and on. Do you think WGT's bottom dollar will be hurt at all? I say go for it then the rest of us don't have to listen to you complain every time WGT does something you don't agree with. 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 4:44 PM

jjscotmanUK:

IMHO I consider WGT removing the option to add b/s to balls for wedge or pitch shots on green is tantamount to them unilaterally tampering with the laws of the real game where such shots are perfectly legal.

I have no idea why they would choose to do this and would be grateful for an explanatory response from one of the WGT staff.

Perhaps also there could be an explanation why b/s on greens is not allowed but artificial aids like PutterPal seem to be perfectly permissible.

Awaiting a response from WGT and many thanks in advance

The Rules of Golf are silent on this issue but I believe most Country Clubs are not.  To get real backspin you need to get under the ball which normally takes a divot.  That is not good on a green - wouldn't you say?

Things like putter pal and shot are used, just like the meter itself, as a measure of how much power we are using since there is no "feel" through the input device.  There are those that don't use PP or SP but have sticky notes or other ways to mark divisions for all sorts of things on the screen.  WGT can't prevent that, so their options are part of the game.  There is no way for this game to divorce itself from things that do not exist in RL golf - it is a video game at heart.

Interestingly, it seems that the PC version has survived quite well without using B/S on greens - and we can still use any club, otherwise.

There is no right answer for a video game - I think WGT is going to even out the features for both platforms and this was a glaring difference.  Will make us better putters, I hope!

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Thu, Oct 31 2019 4:59 PM

It would be much much better if shot and putter pal are taken off the game. It would be much more satisfying when good shots are made.

• PAGES
RSS