Re: Pitching calculator

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 30 2019 2:47 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2019 3:58 PM

Hi

I have mapped my wedges pitching distances, but it is no good when i use them on the course. I do the same as with full swing calculator as in this video here:

https://youtu.be/GSIGUijcNNs

I have gotten my other clubs distances mapped and working, and it shows in my play. But i do something wrong here, anybody who have som advice?

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Oct 6 2019 6:31 PM

When you map shots to the green, you really only use the "carry" distance (in the air).  Once it hits the green, rollout all depends on the green speed, changes in elevation, and loft of the shot.

Obviously, results are different for different rough and bunker lies.

• Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2019 1:15 AM

DoctorLarry:

When you map shots to the green, you really only use the "carry" distance (in the air).  Once it hits the green, rollout all depends on the green speed, changes in elevation, and loft of the shot.

ok, so it is best to map how long they carry and then look at green speed,elevation, wind and if the shot is from sand, rough or fairway.

Is there a table how many feet you add for elevation, rough and sand then, just approximatly? 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2019 4:10 AM

DoctorLarry:

Rollout on pitches also depend on club spin and ball spin. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2019 5:19 AM

Th0maz700:
     I have mapped my wedges pitching distances, but it is no good when i use them on the course.

IDK if you looked at this but it may help you understand how to use that shot.

Chip and Pitch Tips (from over there>>>>>>>>)

• Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Mon, Oct 28 2019 7:13 PM

I have mapped my irons and wedges pitching range, but i do have some questions as they don´t seem to be too accurate.

I use bethpage black hole 1 to do it

Do you hit from the tee when you measure them, or do you hit from the fairway as i have?

When i play approach shots with pitching, they are often way of, typiccally they go too long. I know i have to take the greens elevation into account, but it just gives me very different result even if the shot are almost alike...   

And i fear the day i get quicker greens, then my shots will go even furher!

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Tue, Oct 29 2019 1:53 PM

Th0maz700:

I have mapped my irons and wedges pitching range, but i do have some questions as they don´t seem to be too accurate.

I use bethpage black hole 1 to do it

Do you hit from the tee when you measure them, or do you hit from the fairway as i have?

For pitches, you definitely need to hit from fairway.  Doubt you would ever use a pitch shot from the tee!  I state that because I get some differences in distances for other clubs and shots that might come from wither tee or fairway, so I map them both ways.

Note that on the pitch shots, you should be able to get reasonable mapping on the carry, but about half of the shot is rollout on the green.  It just takes practice.

It also helps to learn the other shots like chips (which have even more rollout!!) and punches (which can stop short with FBS).

GL and have fun.

• Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Tue, Oct 29 2019 2:40 PM

cool, thanx. Guess i need to keep practicing. I am improving though. But i pu pretty ok now, but it is my approach shots that i need to work hard with.  Especially the ones where i have a "wall" to get over to a short put...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Oct 29 2019 4:59 PM

Th0maz700:

Always from the fairway initially-rough comes later. BPB4 is a better place to gauge those wedges, the green is flat and big. Take 2 shots to get to the back side of the green and then you have 8 shots to play with. Use practice mode and you get mulligans. This is where you learn pitches, chips and flops.

p.s., Do yourself a favor now, it'll pay big dividends later. Trade your HB for a third wedge.  ;-)

• Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Tue, Oct 29 2019 5:31 PM

Thanx, that was cool advice, already found extra wedge with nice range between my other wedges......

• PAGES
RSS