Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Oakmont,13.0 greens, no hope?

Mon, Sep 23 2019 9:38 AM (27 replies)
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 7:00 PM

Th0maz700:

Oakmont is the reason i stop playing now. I have the best clubs the game offers, all calculators, used HOURS of practice and it just goes wrong when i start playing... Two reason i allways miss the marker, maybe i hit it correct one out of 10 if i am lucky, several times i am off by by much.  I have NO idea of how to play, so bye for now....

It takes quite a while to figure this game out - trust me!  I have trouble hitting the ding so I get clubs and balls with fairly high meter ratings (slow meter).  The easiest thing to do is get a ball with a slower meter - you can get a Level 1 Callaway ERC Soft with a meter of 3.5, which is slower than the one you are using and only 25 credits more.  Try it out - slower meters are easier to hit!

I recommend going into practice mode on any course and trying and re-trying shots (using mulligans) and keeping notes of what works where.

Good luck.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sun, Sep 8 2019 8:40 PM

Th0maz700:

I have the best clubs the game offers, all calculators, used HOURS of practice and it just goes wrong when i start playing...

Your kidding about the clubs, right? You just started playing last month, get out there man!

• Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Wed, Sep 18 2019 1:02 AM

hi guys

My bad temper got the better of me;-(

I have started up again and things are improving radiccally. Oakmont in -6 yesterday, so i am getting the feeling for the game now..... Thanx for the boost ;-)

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2019 8:01 AM

Yep, Oakmontser is a beast.  You can find quite a selection of helpful videos on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=wgt+oakmont

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2019 9:20 AM

geezuzhd:
    spending money on premium clubs and finding that the performance is no improvement

Amen. Bless those free rentals. (I missed the last one due to not paying attention.) 

My suggestions.
    As already mentioned, axe the hybrid.
    Try to get clubs with at least very close to equal meter speeds. This is most important with wedges. 

geezuzhd:
    which one does the job for off-ding putting

I don't do off ding, so not really sure. I'd think that precision wouldn't be an asset, but could probably be compensated for. 

geezuzhd:
    meeting a crossroad

Happened to me quite some time ago. I'm now just a casual player, enjoying my time in a good, friendly CC, organizing some tourneys with purses. Since I'm retired, I have the time to mine the free video credits. 

Anyway, good luck in your endeavors and decisions. May the VEM be with you. 

:^)

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Thu, Sep 19 2019 10:29 AM

@geezuzhd  ..

I don't think anyone else brought it up... but you need to keep in mind... you likely find playing mobile coin games easier as well because of the jacked up sponsor apparel... it is the sponsor apparel that allows you to play a cheap ball with your present equipment and feel you can play competitively...

Remove your sponsor apparel and your clubs play as they should normally... I can get essentially the same performance from my high end clubs playing a L13 Srixon ball with sponsor apparel as I would with a high end L93 TM ball without sponsor apparel.  

Trajectory, spin, distances can be effected by sponsor apparel.. so when you play ranked rounds without sponsor apparel and you have not learned the distances of your clubs your scores are going to change.

Some players map their clubs with sponsor apparel and without because you basically have two sets of clubs unless you turn off all the sponsor apparel attributes in order to keep your ball mapping consistent. 

Green speeds on mobile are actually a bit easier to putt, but they do play slightly different than desktop... the speeds or calculations are slightly different... it is why people who use desktop calculations feel the greens break more because they are not hitting the putts as firm as they would otherwise.  Hence more break.  

Overly relying on the "green power meter range" assist can be a mistake because it is simply a range ... if you want to dial in your putting... you need to work on or find calculations that work for your putting style... off ding putting effects the power of your putts as well as the line, so you need to take that into consideration.  - the old daytona Rossa was considered a good off ding putter but not sure what or if it was replaced with the new equipment.  Scott Hope's club chart would show that most likely.

Also, the often debated wedge on green with FBS on mobile is a huge asset when you have a very long tricky double, triple or elevated breaker that you can throw tight for a two putt rather than risk 3 putting.  Learn the wedge on a green with FBS it can play a key role in taming Oakmonts tricky greens from long range!

The only real drawback that I see with mobile, is player dependent, and is possibly using a smaller screen or phone where your ding percentage or ding rate may seem harder on a small screen.  Otherwise the game plays pretty much the same.  

Also, being on mobile... most people go to town building up credit bankroll's through the 2 credit videos, to offset cost of actually spending money... It is pretty much what I did for a good two years.  

Best wishes.

• Th0maz700
    482 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 4:51 AM

Are their ways to practise one specific hole?

I mean it can be a bore to play 7 rounds before you reach oakmont nr 8 where i need to practise

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Mon, Sep 23 2019 9:38 AM

RSS