Forums

Help › Forums

Re: ** Virtual U.S. Amateur: The Final Four is Set! ***

Mon, Sep 9 2019 8:31 PM (43 replies)
  • WGTChampion
    1,891 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 1:56 PM

Anyone planning to come and hangout at Topgolf Las Vegas for VUSAm? Would be great to meet you all and crown our 2019 VUSAm winner together. 

_CHAMPION 

PS (expect a detailed post soon with all the details of the event and broadcast) 

• jacktrade51
    10,832 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 3:52 PM

Probably stupidly, I am going to weigh into the debate on calculators, Excel spreadsheet, etc, and time for shot.

Last is easiest; there is always a timer for match play and I assume it will apply on 9/21.  I don't really care whether it is 90 or 60 seconds.  As someone who prefers 90 sec clock, it only ever comes into play if I screw up like hitting rough.  From fairway or putting, it doesn't make a difference for the top players.

On calculators or spreadsheets, why not.  They are only guidelines.  Every hole is different ... add yards some, subtract on others.  Effect is of wind left-right is different on different holes, even on same course.  The estimates are still there.  

Of the players in the final 4, the one I am most familiar with is fmagnets, who is a WGT friend.  He estimates his left right break.  He doesn't really worry if he is 3 or 12 feet from hole.  He sinks his putts.  Anyone who wants to be the best  in this game (not me) has to learn that closest to hole isn't often best; leaving the straightest uphill putt is, which means figuring out where to leave the approach shot on 13 and 14 green speeds is critical.

But if someone wants a more "precise" calculation … fine with me inside 90 seconds.  It still varies hole by hole, plus when WGT says 18-20 mph (probably often more like 17-21) hey they mean that.  So the shots will vary anyway.

My understanding of WGT rules is that any programs that piggyback on game are illegal!  External aids are OK if they do not interact with WGT.  The latter is totally un-enforceable for all of us (live setting different); the former is and should be enforced stringently.  We should make our own shots. 

And, if that has not changed, who cares if it is a calculator or a spreadsheet.

Tom.

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 7:53 PM

DodgyPutter:

kavvz:

By all means use that calculator, but perhaps try practicing what you preach.

He would have liked it if calculators hadn't been allowed but it was decided they were, somehow you think that means he should have put himself at a disadvantge by not using one? 

I think I need to see the spreadsheet on that one ;-)

Yiannis...

LoooL

Next time, please try to hide the calculator in your hair or somewhere lol

else some people will be offended

or 

try to practise this at home n come to live event..

How do magicians make calculator disappear?
    To make a calculator disappear, use your dominant hand and pinch the calculator between your thumb and your middle and ring finger, or inner fingers. ... Bend the calculator into a slight arc and curl your inner fingers by retracting them behind the calculator.

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ LoπŸ˜‚oLπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

- Carl

• jacktrade51
    10,832 Posts
    Mon, Sep 9 2019 8:31 PM

While I am at it, I personally calculate all putting distances in my head across all speeds now.  But if someone is not as quick at mental math as me, so what if they use a calculator?  My putting problem is reading breaks; no calculator will help me at that.

I do use a calculator on iron shots but I really don't have to.  I'm perfectly capable of doing it in my head; the calculator is quicker if I'm in AS or match play.  I still have to adjust for every hole across 14 courses.  But again, if people want an aid, what is the issue.  All the WGT variables are still in play.  After adjusting for wind and elevation, a 90 yard shot at PB#1 does not react the same way on green as a 90 yard shot at St.A#1.  One still has to know the hole and execute the shot.

The only prohibition should be (and I believe is) using programs that interact with WGT computer program and help the shot that way.

As long as we take the shot on our own without aids, what is the problem?  And if we are not interacting with WGT program, how exactly is WGT supposed to enforce that?

Tom.

RSS