Forums

Help › Forums

Re: A couple suggestions

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 24 2019 3:12 PM (9 replies)
  • BobbyJones64
    9 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 4:11 AM

I am not happy with WGT's stance on ball replacement during a round. I just got screwed out of a challenge because my ball was replaced by a WGT starter ball without any warning or opportunity to replenish the ball I was using. What happened to the warning? When I went looking in the Pro Shop for the ball I have been using, there was nothing like it. Did WGT discontinue that ball? I did not see any announcement to that effect.

Suggestion #1 - WGT should allow you to replace a ball during a round if the hits on that ball run out with any ball in your inventory with equal or lower characteristics than the ball you ran out of. This is legitimate use of inventory and does not violate the rules of golf any more than replacing a premium ball with a starter ball. THE STARTER BALL REPLACEMENT IS A VIOLATION OF THE RULES OF GOLF, so why pretend to follow the rules of golf when it definitely is not.

Suggestion #2 - Introduction actual hooks, slices, draws, and fades. None of the balls or clubs have the ability to shape the ball flight path (0.5 is hardly shaping it). Instead you get a pull or a push, but no curving the ball around obstacles. This would be real golf. Most golfers cannot hit a purely straight shot in the real game. Why can't we intentionally hit a hook or slice?

Bonus Suggestion #3 - why can't you hit a driver off the deck? I have tried to hit a driver off the fairway, but you might as well as hit your 3-wood or you pitching wedge. Why can't you get decent results?

• TopShelf2010
    10,879 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 7:51 AM

• BobbyJones64
    9 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 11:57 AM

Thanks for that information, Don, about my previous golf ball. I don't remember the specs on it, so I can't say if I like the Chrome Soft X yet or not. I'll wait until I play again. Hopefully the specs are the same as the old ball, otherwise, it makes me feel like WGT is trying to force us to pay more to play with less.

Regarding the ball exchange issue, it may have been discussed in the past, but it still doesn't make it not irritating when WGT forces you violate the rules by replacing your ball with a completely different type ball.

On the curving the ball issue, it too may have been discussed, but I have not seen that discussion and I don't care to find out now. I am basically impressed with the real feel to most of the action on WGT, but this one thing is a glaring departure from reality. The ball not curving is not even close to reality. Perhaps this would be beyond the programming skills of WGT engineers, so I guess we have to put up with it.

Driver off the fairway? I take it you are not a real golfer. You hit a driver off the fairway to get more distance than your longest fairway wood and to keep the ball lower in the air. The situation it is called for is when you have an extremely long hole and you want more distance than your 3-wood provides.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I understand from other discussion that nothing will happen as a result of complaining, but I just wanted to get it off my chest.

Thanks and have a nice day too,

Doug

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 2:10 PM

BobbyJones64:
    WGT should allow you to replace a ball during a round if the hits on that ball run out with any ball in your inventory with equal or lower characteristics than the ball you ran out of. This is legitimate use of inventory
    It would be, but the inventory ain't available, neither in the real game (unless you have access to your garage from the course?) nor here, where the bag is closed during any game, with only one type of ball selectable.

BobbyJones64:
    Bonus Suggestion #3 - why can't you hit a driver off the deck?
    I use driver from the deck frequently, because it is fun, and, when it works, it's fabulous! Here, it's not supported, so take it as it is.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 3:33 PM

BobbyJones64:

Suggestion #1 - WGT should allow you to replace a ball during a round if the hits on that ball run out with any ball in your inventory with equal or lower characteristics than the ball you ran out of.

Rule 5

Maximum number of Balls

Q. What is the maximum number of balls I can have in my bag or use during the stipulated round?

A. The Rules of Golf do not place a limit on the number of balls that can be carried or used during the round. You are essentially limited to the number of balls you can fit in your golf bag as long as they are the same ball!

Stupid not to be carrying the maximum number of balls

Suggestion #2 - Introduction actual hooks, slices, draws, and fades. None of the balls or clubs have the ability to shape the ball flight path (0.5 is hardly shaping it). Instead you get a pull or a push, but no curving the ball around obstacles. This would be real golf.

Use the search as someone said, they programmed the hook and slice into the game years ago, when they tested it the whole game was screwed up and unplayable, so they nixed the idea....

Bonus Suggestion #3 - why can't you hit a driver off the deck? I have tried to hit a driver off the fairway, but you might as well as hit your 3-wood or you pitching wedge. Why can't you get decent results?

Why?

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Fri, Aug 23 2019 11:05 PM

While I'm afraid to raise popcorn sales, please allow the question: Where is that Q&A from? There ain't no general Rule of Golf demanding "the same ball"! (It may be a tournament C&C)

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sat, Aug 24 2019 11:03 AM

alosso:

While I'm afraid to raise popcorn sales, please allow the question: Where is that Q&A from? There ain't no general Rule of Golf demanding "the same ball"! (It may be a tournament C&C)

I'm no expert, but I believe the "same ball all round" does just apply to certain cases where specified for a tournament or event in RL (I misstated that earlier).  I do believe the same type ball has to be played to complete any given hole, but The Rules allow changing the type of ball between holes.

In any case, WGT only allows one type of ball in our "bag" when we take the course - the number we have is up to us.  They are "gracious" enough to have a free supply of rocks for us to hit if we exhaust our supply of balls!

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Aug 24 2019 11:54 AM

In real golf, each hole must be played with one ball, unless the rules allow for a change (e.g. when OOB, lost, or damaged). The TYPE of ball doesn't appear in the general rules. It's only in a special "One Ball Condition" which may be stipulated for certain tournaments.

In WGTland. IMNSHO, "one ball" is collateral damage to the bag being sealed through the round.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Sat, Aug 24 2019 2:21 PM

play a different ball on every hole on any tour and see what the rule is! Of course  they have to catch you....lol

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sat, Aug 24 2019 3:12 PM

fatdan:
    play a different ball on every hole on any tour and see what the rule is!
    "certain tournaments" should include most or all Pro events.

RSS