Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Option to set concede (CC) distance before Alt Shot/Match Play games

Wed, Aug 21 2019 11:19 AM (5 replies)
  • CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Sat, Aug 17 2019 3:23 PM

Hey guys, how's it going?  I know the likelihood of WGT adding this as a new feature is very unlikely, but I thought I'd leave it here regardless & see what the community thinks.

In the menus while setting up an Alternate Shot or Match Play game, it would be really cool to be able to set the CC rate before starting the match.  The benefit to this is that it completely eliminates any grey area for when a putt should be conceded. 

It prevents the match from going sour due to opponents getting upset about a putt that should've been conceded -- which sometimes happens from people clicking the wrong button, or briefly going AFK.

The options might look something like:

- 2 feet

- 3 feet

- 4 feet

- 5 feet

- Custom

- None

"Custom" would have the creator of the match manually input what they decide they want the distance to be (if this was implemented, the 2-5 feet options actually wouldn't be needed).

"None"  keeps the game as it is now -- having the putts conceded at the player's discretion. This is useful, as a 4 foot straight putt is usually a tap in, versus the dreaded 4 foot sliders,  but there are times when it would be nice to eliminate the CC drama altogether.

It would also speed up the game a bit, as when an approach shot is hit within the chosen concede parameter, the putt would be automatically conceded.

Thoughts?

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2019 2:10 PM

I seriously doubt WGT will change what they are doing now.

That said, I still like the option for each putt individually.  Sometimes I might concede a putt outside any preset parameter or might not concede one.   Since it is up to the opposing player, no one should be upset if their putt is not conceded.  After all - it is a "gift".

As you noted, distance is not the only consideration in concession - so the "grey area" remains!

• alosso
    21,032 Posts
    Mon, Aug 19 2019 10:19 PM

+1!

How can you be sure of an "easy" putt when you don't see the slope?

What would be the financial benefit of the company to invest work in such feature?

Plus, it would contradict the rules of golf, which set up the concede as a "means of warfare" in matches, at the sole discretion of the opponent.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Tue, Aug 20 2019 4:12 AM

Conceed a couple of 3 footers to your opponent and then make him putt and miss an 18"

Or jut simply agree conceed lengths before you start!

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Tue, Aug 20 2019 5:10 AM

When I am 2 up I have different parameters then when I am down 1 with two to play.

When extra holes are reached there is no concede. Should concedes be allowed then?

Best advice is to not agree to some set distance when arranging a match.  A three footer on Merion #5 is very different from a 6 footer on St A's #9.

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Wed, Aug 21 2019 11:19 AM

HackWilson1930:
    Best advice is to not agree to some set distance when arranging a match.  A three footer on Merion #5 is very different from a 6 footer on St A's #9.

Agree 100%.  Every putt and every situation is independent based on course, hole and standing of match.  I concede when I want to and don't when I don't.  I understand that my opponent has the same choice as well and don't get offended.  Generally I do concede inside of 3 ft, but not always.

RSS