Forums

Help › Forums

Re: calculating wind & tee off with deep downhill

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 8 2019 7:41 AM (7 replies)
  • Oliv8r
    31 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 1:04 AM

hi there, I have 2 questions that I don't seem to be able to solve by myself:

I am playing on the iPad. Trying to figure out how to calculate the wind for my approach with the irons. So far I just pulled the aimer into the direction and took a guess. I saw a vid on youtube from one of those super-champs playing on the computer, but his advices don't seem to fit for the iPad..?! That square we are moving to aim is sometimes bigger, sometimes smaller, I don't quite get it. The circle inside that square also changes, sometimes it fills the square, sometimes it doesn't. So can someone tell me what to relate to? Any hints? Thanks a lot :) 

Playing a Par3 where the green is far below the tee and often also very strong wind: here my ball almost always goes too short. I learned: 20 yards down/up, subtract/add 10 yards, but in those cases it won't work. Guess even without wind it doesn't work out. But with that wind it gets completely crazy...Any suggestions? Again a big thank you.

• SamSpayed
    4,895 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 11:51 AM

On downhill tee shots, I generally divide the downhill (in feet) by 3 and by 4, and then average the two and subtract that.  For example:  On Wolf Creek #8 (72 feet down), 72 ÷ 3 = 24 and 72 ÷ 4 = 18.  So I'll subtract about 21.

Having said that - bear in mind that your shot will also be affected by your ball's distance and spin ratings, your club's distance and spin ratings, and how much backspin (or topspin) you choose to hit on your shot.

Hope this helps.  Play with it and see what you think.

• Oliv8r
    31 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 12:44 PM

thanks a lot! just played chambers bay #9 and it worked very well (except the wind, but thats another story). great! really appreciate your help :)

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Wed, Aug 7 2019 12:57 PM

• Oliv8r
    31 Posts
    Thu, Aug 8 2019 3:59 AM

TopShelf2010:

Another key is taking notes. If the calculations you are using keep coming up short or going long, make a little note and adjust during your next attempt.

that makes so much sense ;) it all started as a relaxing game, now it is becoming a relaxing and challenging game. ok, thanks Mister!

• middbrew
    318 Posts
    Thu, Aug 8 2019 5:49 AM

TopShelf2010:

Another key is taking notes. If the calculations you are using keep coming up short or going long, make a little note and adjust during your next attempt.

Don

This is very good advice. It is especially true considering that each course and each hole on each course can play a little different. Thus, although you might have a calculation that works very well, you will need to tweak it some here and there.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Thu, Aug 8 2019 6:23 AM
    Severe downhill greens with high winds, consider using the punch shots. Using a punch isn't affected as drastically as a full shot with ur irons. In high winds conditions, 60% of my iron shots are punchs. It changes high winds to the moderate stanges. Good luck
  • Oliv8r
    31 Posts
    Thu, Aug 8 2019 7:41 AM

thank you everyone! so yes, taking note makes sense ;) and wow, crazy, using a punch never really came into my mind. also a big help for my approach - those few yards between wedge and iron become easier to calculate using that punch sometimes as i just found out. allright, good talking to you! gracias!

RSS