rated by 0 users
Fri, Jul 5 2019 6:56 PM (5 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 8:47 AM

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 9:29 AM

Some players join a CC and can have many posts within said CC that are not seen by WGT at all , But when they post in the open forums for the first few times it goes thro moderation ,  If I remember from last event we asked WGT to please let any new posters replying to the event to let them thro .  

And in my time here I have seen players get off moderation only to go off in a bad way .

OPY 

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 10:36 AM

I have been involved in online discussion boards since the days of BBS (Bulletin Board Systems) when I got my Apple ][+ and a 56K baud modem in 1980 (!)  There was no moderation then, but it came soon after.

There should be a standard short period of moderation based on post count (e.g., 25 posts), followed by unmoderated posting but with review of posts reported by forum members.

The terms and conditions should be clear, and violations should result in specific penalties from warnings, to limited moderation, to varying periods of bans, up to removal.

Note that the reporting requires scrutiny as well, with penalties for undeserved and/or malicious reporting receiving penalties proportionate to the harm proposed.

The goal of the moderation system should be to allow the free discussion of ideas within the confines of the Terms and Conditions that the forum users agree to when we sign up - with a dash of common sense and forgiveness when we fail and then show contriteness.

The current system seems to be shrouded in some secrecy or uncertainty, at best, and should become more clear.  We do not need to know private details of individual incidents - just policies.

These are my opinions and I am happy to discuss them further!

• craigswan
    30,979 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 11:10 AM

I got banned for 3 or 4 days for an inappropriate gif so they said .

I contacted wgt and apologised and they let me back on posting immediately .

but

They said they had e-mailed me a couple of times before to watch it but I took no heed .

The reason I took no heed was because my e-mail notification is switched off as I do not want hundreds of messages telling me about every game being set up or every new forum post .

I think a warning would have been better sent to my personal messages .

• SamSpayed
    4,901 Posts
    Fri, Jul 5 2019 11:41 AM

I would suggest that the moderation policy be changed to allow players to post to the Main Forum immediately.  There is really no reason not to.  Based on my past experience as a discussion moderator in other non-WGT forums, I'm sure that well over 99% of us behave ourselves while posting, even if our post count is low.  If there were any blatant abuse, I'm sure somebody in the community would hit the "Report Abuse" button and report the post.  The offender could then be dealt with as WGT sees fit.

This could reduce the time WGT CS spends on post moderation and encourage more open and timely discussion here.  Everybody wins.

Just my thoughts.

RSS