Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Playing for Real

Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:46 PM (8 replies)
  • bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 2:03 AM

Hi All,

I've decided to take up the game for real again after a gap of about 10 years.

No idea about what clubs I should get anymore, or whether I should take a couple of lessons first so I don't pick up all my old bad habits (I had a wicked slice for years - partially why I stopped playing).

Had a quick look around a golf shop recently, and the range of clubs available is mind-boggling. Also, the drivers! What happened there? They're absolutely huge!

All advice appreciated.

Sean

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 6:37 AM

get yourself custom fitted, remember its clubs that should fit you, not the other way around. definitely take some lessons also.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 8:31 AM

Sean-The technology is astounding these days. I found out by getting back into the game this summer after a 20 year break. Using my trusty Arnold Palmer Axioms I thought I would be ok. LOL-not! My buddy loaned me his Callaways (how's that for a buddy-would any of you loan your clubs out?) for a round and I couldn't believe what I was missing. The club just about swings itself and the ball takes off! Very easy to swing.

I bought a full set of used Big Bertha irons, 3-10,PW-in great shape for $300. I doubt I'll buy another set in my lifetime, these irons are keepers. Until you really find out what's for you take a look at the used clubs. Golf Galaxy prob has a store near you and this is a good time to go looking. They should have a sim there so you can hit b4 you buy. GL

YJ

• ACman0620
    1 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 8:36 AM

if your not going pro, i wouldnt worry to much about the lessons, just go out and play and find your stroke out there, hit alot of range balls to figure distance per club..have fun with it, i've been playing for alittle over 20 years without any lessons at all and finally bought my clubs i really wanted last year....callaways... quite expensive but well worth the buy.  i shoot usually in the 80's with a couple in the 70's but we just play cause we love the game, not for going on the tour.

Ron

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 2:36 PM

ACman0620:
    if your not going pro, i wouldnt worry to much about the lessons

I'm going to disagree slightly with my friend Ron here.. if one of the reasons you stopped playing years ago was a wicked slice, the best thing you can do is get some professional guidance before you pick up the old, natural, bad habits.

A good instructor can also point you to a reputable fitter that will get you the clubs that will fit you the best.

Most of all, if you are returning to the game after a long absence, have a bit o' patience with yourself... mainly because you're gonna suck at it til you get back in the groove.  =)

Peace.

• TheLegendary
    21 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 4:56 PM

Agreed, Always get lessons.  Don't let anyone tell you your to old or good for lessons.  Everyone can learn something out there that will help.  As far as drivers, get the TM Burner 07, you could hit that stright with your eyes closed.

• Moidebe
    7 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 5:06 PM

When I first started playing about 18 yr ago I had a bad slice and I had a freind of mine that had been playing since Moses (yea he is that old lol =) but he told me to open my club face up a few degrees and what do you know no more slice.

Then in 2006 I had a level 3 hernated disk in my lower back and was not able to play for 2 years when I got back out there last year there I go slicing agian then I remembered what he told me opened the club face up just a few degrees and no more slice =)

So some old habbits will return but there are several ways to compensate for them just remember to have a good time and don't think after 10 years it will all come back some things might change for the better =)

But as far as lessons if your going to be playing in toruny's  then yea maybe lessons are good but if all you are doing is playing with friends and your shooting in the 90s and there in the 70s don't worry they will tell you what your doing wrong o_O.

• bluescouse
    1,185 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 1:50 AM

Thanks for your wise counsel guys. I'll take your comments on board and let you know how I get on.

Sean

• oppy
    286 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2009 12:46 PM

Moidebe:

When I first started playing about 18 yr ago I had a bad slice and I had a freind of mine that had been playing since Moses (yea he is that old lol =) but he told me to open my club face up a few degrees and what do you know no more slice.

Then in 2006 I had a level 3 hernated disk in my lower back and was not able to play for 2 years when I got back out there last year there I go slicing agian then I remembered what he told me opened the club face up just a few degrees and no more slice =)

So some old habbits will return but there are several ways to compensate for them just remember to have a good time and don't think after 10 years it will all come back some things might change for the better =)

But as far as lessons if your going to be playing in toruny's  then yea maybe lessons are good but if all you are doing is playing with friends and your shooting in the 90s and there in the 70s don't worry they will tell you what your doing wrong o_O.

opening the club face would make it go further right (or left, depending on dexterity)

do you mean u were told to close the clubface??

RSS