Forums

Help › Forums

Re: New clubs

Fri, Jul 12 2019 3:06 PM (9 replies)
  • Whostyler
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jun 20 2019 4:24 PM

I might be late but I’m new to the game (L28) trying to decide what driver to get. All I’ve read says to get the TaylorMade R1 but I can’t seem to find it. Has it been replaced or am I just dumb?

• Robert1893
    7,652 Posts
    Fri, Jun 21 2019 3:09 PM

• pooped169
    123 Posts
    Sat, Jun 22 2019 7:25 AM

Basing your clubs off of hear say, etc.... I was stuck at tour Master..... What do I do? My game is not improving! So, I went to some of the top players profiles on wgt, Fmagnets,SCOTTHOPE, Young46, WALK0FLIFE, etc..  and the top guys in my CC profiles. Calculated their clubs against my level, then purchased the wedges, then irons, then driver, then, 3w. After that I experimented with balls until it all came together and BAM, I made Legend. Of course it doesn't hurt that my Country Club also has some of the best players on WGT. LOL

• middbrew
    318 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2019 5:50 AM

Whostyler:

I might be late but I’m new to the game (L28) trying to decide what driver to get. All I’ve read says to get the TaylorMade R1 but I can’t seem to find it. Has it been replaced or am I just dumb?

I believe the TaylorMade R1 drivers have been replaced with the M5/M6 line of drivers. 

• McGoon42
    108 Posts
    Wed, Jun 26 2019 11:23 PM

There doesn’t seem to be a direct replacement for the L48 TM R1 but the L55 TM M5 is very close and an excellent alternative.

• ScottHope
    10,013 Posts
    Sat, Jun 29 2019 2:18 PM

pooped169:
    So, I went to some of the top players profiles on wgt, Fmagnets,SCOTTHOPE, Young46, WALK0FLIFE...
    What? No, I definitely do not belong in that group. They are top players, I am mediocre at best.

Thanks for thinking that of me though.  ; ) 

⇩ EDIT : Thank you middbrew. ; ) ⇩

• middbrew
    318 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2019 6:08 AM

ScottHope:

pooped169:
    So, I went to some of the top players profiles on wgt, Fmagnets,SCOTTHOPE, Young46, WALK0FLIFE...
    What? No, I definitely do not belong in that group. They are top players, I am mediocre at best.

Thanks for thinking that of me though.  ; ) 

With your knowledge of the WGT game and everything you do for the community you are definitely a top player in my books.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2019 7:58 AM

/methinks that there is no driver worth buying for a L28 oder L33 (currently) Amateur. This won't change as a Pro.

Levels change so quickly until L50+ that patience is always a good thing. The better club is right around the corner.

If you want to improve your equipment, choose any 3WD available.

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Sun, Jun 30 2019 8:26 AM

I would hold out and get the lvl 55 TM driver, that should be good for you until you get into the mid to upper 80s lvl and then you may need to upgrade again, especially from legend tees.  Look at lvl 39 ATV or lvl 44 MD wedges, those should make a huge difference in your scoring.

• Currango
    9 Posts
    Fri, Jul 12 2019 3:06 PM

adrob2:

I would hold out and get the lvl 55 TM driver, that should be good for you until you get into the mid to upper 80s lvl and then you may need to upgrade again, especially from legend tees.  Look at lvl 39 ATV or lvl 44 MD wedges, those should make a huge difference in your scoring.

Agreed. The Level 55 TM driver sticks out like a sore thumb. 

However, as a newcomer myself having signed up 4 weeks ago, I thought the best way to make any meaningful progress in terms of moving up tiers with no undue delay would be to adopt the following policy.

1) start with replacing the driver. The titleist TS2 driver (269 yds) will do the job beyond the Level 80 ballpark before an upgrade is necessary.

2) the second area is the need to replace the starter wedges with either of the L39 ATV’s and/or thePing 80 wedge and the Cleveland 105 wedge to get a 105/80/60 distance gap in place.

3) get a reasonable putter. The TM spider will do till around lvl 65/70 when I suspect it will be necessary for upgrading. 

4) from the outset use the 100cr slow meter WGT ball or if you are flushed start using the Callaway 300cr slow meter balls.

5) finally ditch the starter 3W and get the M5 TaylorMade 3W to cope with Tour Pro and Master yardages. That will, I suspect, need replacing at circa Level 80 or thereabouts.

RSS