Re: Longest Putt

rated by 0 users
Sun, Jun 16 2019 11:50 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sat, Jun 15 2019 10:51 AM

@DodgyPutter 

But knowing the poster, I don't believe he's being sanctimonious. I think it is just a straightforward statement. And it's true. Being here that long, the person should know. He's had plenty of time to learn. That's a factually true statement. 

This illustrates why knowing someone is important to interpreting the person's intent. And if we don't know someone, I don't think we should read the words in the worst possible way. 

Instead of accusing someone of being sanctimonious, why not simply reply along the lines of "maybe you don't mean it to be, but that comes across a bit sanctimonious." Give the person the opportunity to apologize (if really was) or say that wasn't his or her intent (if it wasn't). 

OK. I know. I don't always live up to the above. But I strive. As I think I've mentioned before, we (oftentimes) judge ourselves by our intent and others by their behavior. 

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Sat, Jun 15 2019 2:39 PM

Robert1893:
    But knowing the poster, I don't believe he's being sanctimonious. I think it is just a straightforward statement. And it's true. Being here that long, the person should know. He's had plenty of time to learn. That's a factually true statement. 

The only thing the op posted It's been nearly a week since I made my longest putt in a stroke match, but it hasn't updated. Is this no longer a feature? Thanks. was a question and a thanks.

What would be the even halfway polite way to reply?  Someone asks a question, so clearly doesn't know the answer what is the point in telling them As long as you have been on WGT you should already know these things.? Why not just not reply if that's how you feel?

I don't think it is "true", it's an opinion that you may share but certainly not factually true.    It's like someone saying your scoring should be ...., your pph should be.......... etc etc after this long.  It depends what you want from the game and how much you want to put in (effort, time and money). Maybe he spends most of his time on here playing rather than checking out stuff like that, would that be bad?  If he needed to know he could just ask in the forum ;-))  To say "I knew this in less time that you've been here, so you should" could certainly be described as being sanctimonious.

I didn't know (or care) that if I had a longer putt in MP it wouldn't count for that, and I've been here longer and a lot more.

Anyway I would have left it if you had; op writes a post gets a tetchy reply and points that out, fair enough.  I know we've talked before about knowing people and therfore their intent and that's why you supported BTBS. The op knows neither of you and it probably just seems like ganging up.  I'm not saying BTBS is a sanctimonious person in general but I do see why the op thought that comment was.

I think as part of the same conversation we touched on bullying.  I do think if we (forum regulars) treat folk that ask occasional (maybe silly to those of us that read too much and play too little) questions as if they're stupid in some way, then it is bullying.  Especially if we side with those we know, because we know they're not like that, when in the particular case they are wrong.  I'm not saying you did here, I'm saying it's a danger in general. 

And I have said much worse things than were said here, probably deliberately on a couple of occasions but mostly without meaning to.

Sorry, two long posts on nowt much :-(

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Sat, Jun 15 2019 11:04 PM

So what was the question again?

Seems like the thread wandered.

• pmm711
    5,515 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2019 8:27 AM

I read these books growing up...all of them...

so...

99.99% of my answers can be taken the wrong way.  I am what I am...so...I stopped trying to help. :-)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2019 10:03 AM

For me, I blame Rockford Files. I watched way too many episodes, multiple times. That's bound to have an effect. ;-) 

• borntobesting
    9,623 Posts
    Sun, Jun 16 2019 11:50 AM

I'm sorry if I came across as sanctimonious.it wasn't my intent. All i did was state  my opinion based on his join date ,However I am at times too blunt and that might sound  sanctimonious.and arrogant. But once again it was not my intent. 

• PAGES
RSS