Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Golf at Luke AFB, Phoenix

Sat, Jun 13 2020 8:35 AM (6 replies)
  • Ducati916
    1,116 Posts
    Tue, Jun 11 2019 4:14 PM

So, it was 109 degrees today in Phoenix...seemed like a good idea to go play golf at 12:00. We were the only p.m. tee time and ran into exactly 4 other people on the entire course. Apparently, there are 4 other people without the gift of common sense in town as well.

A few shots of some holes.  Henry Kawa...this is what you missed sir.

Also, a couple of admittedly crappy shots of some of the people that keep us safe every day...the training flight path goes right over the course...sorry for the quality of those shots...cell phone and zoom are not exaclty HD

P.S. shot 80 from the middle tees...won $20. maybe I can buy some of that common sense.

• gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2019 11:45 AM

Common sense?

I would've gone another direction golfing in 109 degrees

Preferably by ambulance, in a white, no lapel, STRAPPED FOR SELF SAFETY new jacket, delivered to a nice air conditioned RUBBER ROOM!

I better hurry up.

Everyone knows you don't wear white after labor day......

• drmoose
    3,531 Posts
    Sat, Aug 3 2019 1:03 PM

gonfission:
    Everyone knows you don't wear white after labor day......

Welcome back, Joe.

Doc :)

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Sun, Aug 11 2019 4:14 AM

It doesn’t have to be that hot if the humidity is very high. Played 2 weeks ago in only 85 degree weather but the humidity was mid 90’s and it completely drained me. 

• gonfission
    2,227 Posts
    Sun, Aug 11 2019 11:36 AM

Okay, I feel morally obligated to defrock the hubbub of humidity, wind chill, and all other nonsensical ideas of temperature manipulation, by old onomastic phraseology....

I concur with the above. The above, above the above... Just so we're all clear here......

I rode my Harley to Sturgis South Dakota in 2000. Three day ride from the east coast, and as a bonus, you get to walk bow-legged for a week, feeling like you have a beehive in your back pocket, where they enter through the crotch...

While there, the temp was 105, EVERY DAY! 

"But it is DRY heat". Lemme tell youse all, it was like riding in a blast furnace.

According to old ass weather mathematics;

If it's 100 degrees out, and I drive 70MPH, it should feel like 30 degrees out...

NO NO NO. It was melting my face off my skull. I finally knew how Icarus felt...

Skiing, when it was 5 out, and a 20mph wind was afoot, it was supposed to be feeling like it was -15 degrees out...

NO NO NO!

I was bone chilling cold, however it was still 5. Now you want to talk COLD, I'll take you to McMurdo Air Base, on Ross Island, Antarctica.

Average winter temp of -40 degrees F or -50 C, add to the a daily average of 12 knot winds, up too 100 knots, and you have a recipe for witch bi-tchin cold, my friends.

The kind of cold that makes you do stupid things. Like peeing, to see if it freezes before it hits the ground...

It does

But there are very real health problems that come with that kind of stupid, you know, the special kind....

So any hoo, no one is evvah gonna tell me, that if you want to cool off in Arizona, or southern Texas, just go for a hyper drive, with the windows down. 

Instead, just go for a round of golf, and no one cares about the GD temperature, if you're crazy enough to face the fire with hot steel in you hands.

Sounds sort of Gladiatorial to me, if you ask......

I'm 65 yards out.

Caddie, hand me the MACE!!

---------------------<*{{{{{-(

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Aug 11 2019 8:30 PM

I've been in 130 degree dry heat in Kuwait and 90-100 degree (very) humid heat in Mississippi.  The former is survivable, the latter is not - for long.

Nice shots of the course - need more shade!  (Of course I used to find a lot of shade when I played in RL.....

• greatness1987
    4 Posts
    Sat, Jun 13 2020 8:35 AM

Despite the fact that it has been a year, I still want to note what good photos you have left in your memory. This is great!

RSS