Re: How to use the cut-line

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 14 2019 4:47 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 5:04 PM

WolfApel:
    Anyway, I got a partial answer as the reason that I asked was because my CC has a current tournament with a cut line in round two of within 20 strokes. The creator of the tournament meant it to allow people to play the first two rounds and have to qualify to play the final two. I told him I thought he should have put it in round 3. It turned out that people who played the first round and weren't within 20 strokes are now ineligible to play round 2.

Actually that does not make sense.  Cut lines in a round are a limit as to who can continue in the next round.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 5:12 PM

WolfApel:
    What I still don't understand is what happens if you put a cut line in round one? Why is it even an option? Again, maybe it's just a programming glitch.

I think I understand exactly what you're trying to do. You're trying to handle it like the PGA does with a cut after round 2. The nice thing is you can, very easily. When you set up the second round, make the cut line there.  :-)

• alosso
    21,034 Posts
    Wed, Jun 12 2019 11:45 PM

WolfApel:
    When creating a multi-round tournament, there is a cut-line option for every round.
    I'm afraid that you'd have to double-check this.

AFAIS, there are cut options for the first rounds (e.g. 1-3 of 4) but not for the last (4th) one, just as it should be.

• DufferJohn7
    3,563 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2019 7:35 PM

I use the cut feature in four round tournaments we call stroke play eliminatons. All rounds are 9 hole single play. The first round cut is to the top 8 scores plus ties. The second round cuts to the top 4 plus ties, finally the third round to the top 2 plus ties. So the final round is usually two players. I start with a small purse and entry fee with winner takes all payout. As noted above there is no cut option for the final round.

I think the confusion comes from thinking the cut applies before the round is played. While the cut is set up for the first/second/third round it is applied after the round is played and determines who advances to the next round.

By using top players plus ties there will always be players advancing. If you use a required score there is a risk of no one achieving the score and the tournament ends with no winner and credits taken by WGT.

Anyway that format works for us

Have fun and hit em straight,

John

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Thu, Jun 13 2019 11:57 PM

alosso:
    WolfApel:
    When creating a multi-round tournament, there is a cut-line option for every round.

I'm afraid that you'd have to double-check this.

Exactly. 

I tried setting up a 4-round stroke tourney and the cut-line option does not exist for round 4, but it does for all the others - as it should be.

• BOBBENCH052
    3,730 Posts
    Fri, Jun 14 2019 1:53 AM

HERE YA GO WOLF, I POSTED THIS IN OUR FORUM.  SHOULD BE CLEAR TO YA NOW IF NOT GIVE ME A CALL.

Not sure how every one is confused about the cut line.  Just like any major on the PGA tour you have to make the cut to play the weekend.  So you play 2 rounds, if your total for the 2 rounds are more than 20 shots and ties of the leader you will be eliminated from rounds 3 and 4.

That is how it works and i thought i was being generous with 20 shots normally it is only 10.

Any further questions feel free to give me a call and we can discuss.  

bob

This was the first time i set a tournament with a cut line.  Looking at it further, for the tier of legend and below, i should have set it in 2 tiers, legends only, and tour master and below and the cut line would have been more fair.  Tell me what ya think.

bob

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Fri, Jun 14 2019 4:47 PM

BOBBENCH052:
    Not sure how every one is confused about the cut line. 

Thanks Bob.

I don't think everyone is confused about the cut-line.  It is actually pretty clear how it works on RL and how it works on WGT.  

I think your idea about two tiered tournaments is a good idea in general, and especially when using a cut line.

Have fun!

• PAGES
RSS