Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Pebble beach qualifying

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jun 10 2019 3:53 PM (7 replies)
  • meresi
    84 Posts
    Sun, Jun 9 2019 4:22 PM

maybe i am too stupid to play this game, but i am wondering wether or not the devil might have his fingers in my pie, particularly on the back 9, i made birdies on the front easily, but really suffer on the back...no matter how much of practice, in the qualifying strange things happen.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 6:28 AM

For me I just fail under the pressure on the back 9 after a good front 9.   I still play the back 9 just for the practice after a not so good front 9.   My biggest issue so far is not being able to pair two good 9's.  Good front 9 but bad back 9  then a not so good front 9 then a great back 9.  LOL

I think I need to save the game after a good front 9, then later on come back to play the back 9 so it feels like I'm just playing the back 9.  There's something about me and full 18 hole rounds.  I think it's due to me only playing mainly 9 holes of real golf this time of year.  I only know how to focus 9 holes at a time.

• birchi
    1,492 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 7:38 AM

Makes sense since 6 of the course's easiest 7 holes are on the front nine. 

You may want to consider using different balls for Pebble Beach. I usually downgrade from the L90 Nike Blacks to the L81 Nikes (which are the Taylor Made L81 now) to avoid creating too much backspin on some of the very slopy greens from the 8th hole onward. 

• meresi
    84 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 11:55 AM

well, its not the backspin i am suffering on, its more not hittin' the ding. subsequently facing some awkward putts. was checking the rules for green and hole positions. i came up with this: https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=143&Rule=16

An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.

well, there are a few tricky place on the back 9...rofl

• gordonparker
    823 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 2:29 PM

Back 9 at pebble beach is generally harder than the front nine. It maybe worth playing a few practice rounds with the new pins before heading into the qualifier and getting a feel of where the ball will roll on the greens with the new pins.

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 2:48 PM

Man I just played the most stressful back 9 at Pebble.  LOL  

Kept saying, don't give any back, don't give any back.  Then it turned into, you still need some birds lol.

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 2:50 PM

meresi:
    but really suffer on the back...no matter how much of practice, in the qualifying strange things happen.

seeing how you are playing the L90 Titleist, you  could or may try to watch a youtube or twitch round of one of the elite players to get an idea how they manage the course and conditions / hole locations.

it doesn't help with every wind direction you will face, but every once in awhile you pick up one or two shots that you might not have considered before... whether it is clubbing down and taking off spin or clubbing up while hitting full BS and taking of power...

there can be multiple ways to hit the same yardage and some may be better for holding a location on the green than others... just a thought.   

• meresi
    84 Posts
    Mon, Jun 10 2019 3:53 PM

well, its not the backspin i am suffering on, its more not hittin' the ding. subsequently facing some awkward putts. was checking the rules for green and hole positions. i came up with this: https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=143&Rule=16

An area two to three feet in radius around the hole should be as nearly level as possible and of uniform grade. In no case should holes be located in tricky places, or on sharp slopes where a ball can gather speed. A player above the hole should be able to stop the ball at the hole.

well, there are a few tricky place on the back 9...rofl

RSS