Sat, Aug 3 2019 6:38 PM (56 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 11:39 AM

• bubbsboy
    6,879 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 12:41 PM

Geoff5732:

I think it may have been, can’t recall exactly, however, 15ft to me is long enough to have a go with an alternate type of shot to a putt. A flop, chip etc over a mound hindering the line, in a game was worth a go, maybe even on course.

Sometimes needs must. 

No drama here, as i feel this one was mine.

Just you did say long putt , awkward putt i feel.

But as i said, half strength flops wont go half desired distance over that mound

So possibly something to note, and it may help you.

The rest of the legal stuff etc etc i aint really fussed about ;-)

• stevietwotimes
    1,327 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 1:01 PM

Geoff5732:

Actually I do, but I’m taking in all the comments and views before making any further comment, par this one, before deciding which course of action is my preferred route.

Geoff.... chill man its just a game....

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 3:05 PM

I have acknowledged that #geoff likely made a mistake, but I also believe some of his underlying frustration can be tied into other aspects of the game that do "appear" to get tweaked or altered during a round.  This is how it might "appear" I can't say it is definitive proof but only what I have to review. 

Just today, I was playing in the free weekly on Pinehurst for Tour Legends.  It was heavier winds and championship 14 greens.

I hit a shot, I fully expected to release off the green because how does a miss hit ball hit into a champ 14 green stop on a slight downslope pinehurst?  

Here is one explanation.... upon watching the replay... this is what I viewed while logged into the game.  Notice anything odd about the green speed recorded/shown?

My experience has been miss hits late with the wind tend to release more because the ball doesn't get all the bite you normally expect on a dinged shot, if I miss hit early the ball generally comes up shorter and stops quicker as the wind knocks it down more.  

We can learn those things but it does not alter or change something is WRONG or OFF here when the replay for me indicates a standard green speed instead of Championship 14. 

Either replays are not accurately recording and saving all the factors or the replay is showing something that was altered during the shot but most people rarely catch or pick up on, unless they stumble across it.  Mind you... I don't believe anyone else without some kind of hack software will see the green speed.  I had to be logged in while viewing the replay for it to show up.  If I view the replay without being logged in, I could not see the green speed.

Again, my shot was a mistake, I acknowledge that... I am pointing out how the advertised green speed for this tournament is somehow different than that showing up in the "replay" which is suppose to accurately reflect the shot and game play dynamics for that shot.  

I am not filing any grievance with WGT, as I believe this type of thing happens universally to all players and everyone experiences odd stuff.  But, having been able to see a different "factor' or variable such as a different green speed, does offer me another explanation for why a shot stop on what I believed was a Champ 14 green when I have had numerous shots on Pinehurst on slower greens never stop rolling and fall off the green.  Just saying, it seemed odd... so I looked at it closer and found the above details.

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 3:42 PM

el3n1:
    I hit a shot, I fully expected to release off the green because how does a miss hit ball hit into a champ 14 green stop on a slight downslope pinehurst?  

The ball pitched and stopped quickly I don't really see that says anything about the speed of the green, it came down a slight dip and then stopped when this became a slight incline.  The greenspeed didn't make any noticable difference.  In short my experience is approaches landing there stop quickly. 

el3n1:
    Either replays are not accurately recording and saving all the factors or the replay is showing something that was altered during the shot but most people rarely catch or pick up on, unless they stumble across it.

Before you hit the ball it's telling you it's on the green, it's obviously not.  The replay is not giving you the information from before your shot.

el3n1:
    hy a shot stop on what I believed was a Champ 14 green when I have had numerous shots on Pinehurst on slower greens never stop rolling and fall off the green.  Just saying, it seemed odd... so I looked at it closer and found the above details.

The ones that rolled landed somewhere else. I reckon hit longer that would have rolled off the green.

• ssaunderss
    463 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 3:53 PM

In the real game all these shots are legal not just full.  So this is one area where WGT did not go to the effort to realistically simulate the game.  I have seen people hit many shots on the green not using the putter.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 4:19 PM

ssaunderss:

In the real game all these shots are legal not just full.  So this is one area where WGT did not go to the effort to realistically simulate the game.  I have seen people hit many shots on the green not using the putter.

Ahhh, but they did. In the early days every shot was in play. It was like the greens were fairway and players were abusing it to no end. On top of that, rough shots accepted spin like the fairway. You could stop anything, anywhere, regardless of the lie. Back spin out of traps, too.

They put the brakes on that unreal play and made it what it is today, much more realistic. The only thing they need to work on is the action of shots out of traps, IMO.

• el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 5:03 PM
    #dodgy not sure what the confusion is the screen grab I presented that clearly states "green speed" standard when that is not case! Also the shot stopped on a slight decline not incline on a miss hit long iron which has less spin and bite when miss hit... those type of shots do not bite and stop quickly. It may have landed into a slight incline, but rarely do you see a ball on Champ 14 greens actually stop especially from an longer iron approach shot... I have seen wedges with high spin end up rolling off the green on T12 green speeds on Pinehurst let alone a mid - to long iron. The replays are not presenting factually correct information based on my screen shots and the replay if reflective of a completed shot. I was not presented with a green speed while sitting in the fairway because I know it is C14 from the previous holes.
  • tanneralis
    419 Posts
    Mon, May 20 2019 5:49 PM

WGT do manipulate shot outcomes at random, it's a code built into their software but hitting a flop shot on the green is plain ridiculous...poor shot choice...i would say learn how to putt

• chipshotdan
    29 Posts
    Fri, Aug 2 2019 11:33 AM
    edited as I’ve had time to calm down! I’m sure on reflection customer service do a very good job 👍 I’m just cheesed off that I can not get a response from them. It’s gutting as I have played this game on and off for 9 years ! And now I can’t play at all! Sorry rant over can’t make them contact me I guess.
RSS