Forums

Help › Forums

Re: WGT Free Golf Balls

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 10 2019 5:25 AM (5 replies)
  • Steve915
    68 Posts
    Sun, Apr 7 2019 10:39 PM

Is it possible to become a very good player using the free stock balls provided by WGT?

I used to pay for golf balls, and I didn't mind losing them, but it burned me up when a ball was taken out of play.

I've been using the free balls for a few years and I've gotten used to them.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Mon, Apr 8 2019 12:09 AM

That is what I had been trying to achieve, then I gave up.

It is possible theoretically if you know where to land your ball with the full understanding of all the contours, slopes, characteristics of every single green featured in this game. Otherwise, it becomes virtually a mission impossible 'cause as we all know, the faster the greens, the harder it becomes to make the rock (the free ball) bite the surface preventing any unwanted roll away from the pin. Based on my personal experience, one can deal and submit decent scores* up to legend tier with the freebies but anything beyond that point, I'd say you're being too ambitious. (It really depends on each individual but for me, anything lower than 59 is a decent score. Again, each of your own...)

Another downside of it is the distance. You will notice with the freebie some holes cannot be covered (reached) within the GIR number even with a tailwind which can be very frustrating and devastating psychologically.

This is my two cents on it... Happy hitting and good luck.

Simon

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 8 2019 5:40 AM

Steve915:
    Is it possible to become a very good player using the free stock balls provided by WGT?

That would depend on your definition of "very good." Without the ability to control your landings on the greens you're going to have to play an extremely smart, careful game and figure out how to run up to pins, not to mention being able to putt.

You already have decent equipment but you're always going to find yourself at a disadvantage. If that doesn't bother you, see how good you can actually get with them but you need to play substantially more than you do.  

p.s., FWIW, the Tour-SD ball is really cheap but gives you enough spin and distance to make a big difference. I used them for a long time with the same equipment you have. I sent you some to try.  :-)

• lonniescott711
    4,183 Posts
    Mon, Apr 8 2019 7:24 AM

Any thing is possible . The question is are you willing to put the time in ? To learn your clubs and how they play using the rock . To learn the courses and proper course management . Then there is also learning how to hit the proper shot . Working on your short game and the most important thing is your putting . Reading the greens and breaks properly and using the right amount of power and speed . This is what wins tournaments , putting . Its the most important part of your game .

It takes a very good game to become a very good player . It takes practice practice and then even more practice . Its all about putting your time in and really learning the game and how to play it . So yes you can but only under the right conditions as mentioned .

• Steve915
    68 Posts
    Tue, Apr 9 2019 11:29 PM

Thanks, Jim.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 10 2019 5:25 AM

Steve915:

Thanks, Jim.

You're quite welcome, let me know how you do with them.  ;-)

RSS