Forums

Help › Forums

Re: reformed sandbagger

Sat, Oct 31 2009 9:55 AM (6 replies)
  • dan1volfan
    2 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2009 1:05 AM

Hello to everyone, I must be honest, when I first started playing on this site, I didn't take it very serious, and just played to see how low I could get my avg. and would not post bad rounds. SHAME ON ME.

after playing rounds with true pros and masters and listening to their stories and comments, I have a new outlook, I will not ever quit on another round, (except my single play rounds I use for practice). so if anyone out there is one of the players I quit on and ruined your round, I apolagize.

good golfing everyone!!!

• TheLighterDark
    1,404 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2009 1:21 AM

Luckily, there is match play now, so not too much more worrying about that. :)

Welcome... again?

• molideha
    213 Posts
    Sun, Oct 25 2009 4:35 AM

Its all good Dan...no worries.

to be clear, you were doing the opposite of sand bagging....sand baggers are more likely to post their worst rounds and quit on their best...keeping their average UP so they can compete versus a less skilled group of competitors in tournaments.

gl and enjoy

• Joeyola
    1,210 Posts
    Thu, Oct 29 2009 1:38 AM
    Hi guys, I posted part of this on another thread, but it probably fits better here.   

The key to being in the tier where you belong is to post all your scores in rated stroke play, and to always play your very best.  Everyone who has been here for a while knows that you can lower your scoring average, or keep it artificially low, by posting only your best scores and not finishing bad rounds.  This is actually the reverse of sandbagging.  I call it shooting yourself in the foot...here's why:

You might think watching your scoring average soar, in this way, is really cool, but what you are actually doing is advancing faster than you are ready.  Then, when you "accidentally"  or otherwise get bumped into the Master tier, there is no going back.  Sure, it was good for the ego when it happened, but now, you'll need to invest a lot more time and a lot more treasure to play against serious gamers...and those guys are good.  And if this is not what you want, you just bought yourself a lot of frustration.

Please be clear, I am not encouraging sandbagging, just don't shoot yourself in the foot either.  It is never sandbagging to post all your scores, and to play your very best.  If you do this honestly, you should be in the tier that is right for you. 

Joey

• Fished
    24 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 7:09 PM

very well said.  I would like to make to the masters level.  I love this game

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, Oct 30 2009 8:59 PM

Thats one of the best post Joey Ive read in awhile..I was one of those who didnt post most of my games around +4 or worst, then I got really hot one day and poof..I was a Master the next day..right now  iam a 71.15 and every round  under par is a dog fight..so im not a true master and that can be frustrating...turn em all inppl

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Sat, Oct 31 2009 9:55 AM

Thank you all for the refreshing posts that confirm common sense as "the way to go".

Thanks for that.

side note: I think I was getting very near Master tier; then the Fast greens took care of that...lol.   temporarily.

Short game rules.

Cheers,

RSS