Help › Forums

Re: Hole Placement

Wed, Mar 6 2019 11:40 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Thu, Feb 21 2019 7:38 AM

HackWilson1930:

What is even more frustrating is to play a course that has different pin placements but seldom see the the second one. BPB is a prime example. How often do you get to see the back location on #8 ? When was the last time you played with the pin at the front of #3?

What does it take alternate pins on holes that have two locations?

On some courses (maybe all?), how frequently you get a particular pin placement is affected by if you play a 9-hole round or an 18-hole round.

For example, on the 11th hole of St. Andrews, if I only play the back 9, I always get the back pin. I've never got the front pin. Not even once. But if I play the whole 18, I will sometimes get the front pin location. For the longest time, I didn't even know the front pin was used on that hole. 

• alosso
    21,037 Posts
    Thu, Feb 21 2019 6:40 PM

fatdan:
    I was thinking Oakmont, which "did", but it is gone, and I would have sworn RSG and Olympic, but they sure don't do they..
    OAK did (remember the unfamous back pins on ##1+2?), but it's history.

RSG and OLY, sure not - these are the ones I've been looking for most intensively!

Quite a surprise that MER came up with the alvernative within a year or so - this was the last upgrade IIRC.

• TarheelsRule
    5,468 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2019 9:38 AM

The issue with this has always been during the initial shooting of the photos for each course.

Frankly I would think you would map 3 sets of pins for each course, since that gives you three different versions of each green to play.

I do also agree for whatever reason these pin placements don't pop up on a regular basis, I would suggest that we see some 5 times more than others.   For example how often do you see the up pin on hole 11 at St Andrews and how often do you see the  back pin on hole 15 at Beth Page.

I'm sure there is a reason but I don't know it.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Wed, Mar 6 2019 11:40 AM

TarheelsRule:

For example how often do you see the up pin on hole 11 at St Andrews ................

I'm sure there is a reason but I don't know it.

Did you see Robert's post on 2-21, just two posts above yours?

• PAGES
RSS