Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Editing text. Help required. Apply within.

rated by 0 users
Thu, Feb 21 2019 7:21 AM (8 replies)
  • ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Wed, Feb 20 2019 1:40 PM

This has got me stumped, so any help will be very much appreciated. : )

What I would like to know is, is there a keyboard shortcut, when using any kind of text editor, that would move the cursor to either the beginning, or the end, of a selected piece of text, without de-selecting the text.

Here's a picture to show what I mean...

...it doesn't matter what text editor anyone uses, I just want to know if a keyboard shortcut exists for this as it's been bugging me all day, so I'll try any suggestions.

Thank you.

Scott.

Keyboard shortcut to move the cursor to either end of the selected text without de-selecting the text
  • BogeyOne
    1,965 Posts
    Wed, Feb 20 2019 2:11 PM

Are you simply trying to select an area to be deleted so that you may make changes? Does it have to be a keyboard shortcut? If not, did you try holding down the left click on your mouse and dragging it from the desired start to finish positions? Works with my text editor.

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Wed, Feb 20 2019 2:15 PM

Thanks BogeyOne, but it does have to be a keyboard shortcut as I need to do this to multiple selections simultaneously.

I have to search files for pieces of text, select all those searched results, cut them, paste them to another location in the same file, then add something to the beginning and the end of each selection.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 20 2019 4:35 PM

ScottHope:
    cut them, paste them to another location in the same file, then add something to the beginning and the end of each selection.

Does the CIA, DOD and CTU know you're searching for how to do this? Are you working with bad guys? Jack Bauer is going to find out, you know.     LOL   ;-)

• BogeyOne
    1,965 Posts
    Wed, Feb 20 2019 5:03 PM

Oh, for the good old days.

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Thu, Feb 21 2019 12:40 AM

Haha, I can just about spell CIA so I think you guys are safe. : ))

⇧ That typewriter wouldn't fit into my flat, lol. ⇧

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:00 AM

Not sure if its the answer Scott, but does Shift+Ctrl+Up or Down Arrow Keys do it? Or maybe the answer is in here:

https://www.howtogeek.com/115664/42-text-editing-keyboard-shortcuts-that-work-almost-everywhere/

• ScottHope
    10,085 Posts
    Thu, Feb 21 2019 4:45 AM

Excellent TMO!

SHIFT + CTRL + UP/DOWN makes each of my multiple cursors go up or down a line, increasing the size of each selection, not what I was after, sadly. : (

SHIFT + CTRL + LEFT/RIGHT makes each of my multiple cursors jump backwards/forwards through each selection, eventually ending up at the start/end of the selected text, yes! : )

Y'know, I could've sworn that I tried that yesterday and it didn't do what I wanted, but maybe I was tired and confused.

Thanks very much for suggesting that TMO and making me give it another go. You can imagine how much time it saves to be able to edit up to several hundred bits of text all at once, instead of doing them one at a time.

Cheers bud  Beer emoticon

Scott  ; )

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Thu, Feb 21 2019 7:21 AM

Nice one Scott. Always ready and willing to help those out who go above and beyond to help others out. 

RSS