2,195 Posts
    Thu, Feb 14 2019 5:06 PM

Front pin

WTF

I hate its stupid guts.  :)

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Feb 14 2019 5:39 PM

Ok...vent over how does one play that pin? 

Does it play short?  i.e.  Had a pretty significant tail wind from the tee so had a bout 60 yards in.  Using the 64, didn't want to be short and its a bit uphill so I gave it a bit of top and hit it 98%.  It went 3 yards past and of course missed the putt from behind, and the fun back and forth was on for the eventual WD.  

Is it better from either side of the cup? 

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Thu, Feb 14 2019 8:46 PM

kavvz:

Ok...vent over how does one play that pin? 

Does it play short?  i.e.  Had a pretty significant tail wind from the tee so had a bout 60 yards in.  Using the 64, didn't want to be short and its a bit uphill so I gave it a bit of top and hit it 98%.  It went 3 yards past and of course missed the putt from behind, and the fun back and forth was on for the eventual WD.  

Is it better from either side of the cup? 

The front is actually very easy to chip from since it has almost no break at all. I had two chip-ins for birdie on that hole. And no it plays a lot longer than the yardage because of the severe uphill. Nothing but topspin for that hole. 

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2019 4:53 AM

Between Merion #15 and Bethpage #15, I think the toughest holes in WGT.

Yes, you have to be in front of the pin on Merion. I have chipped in there also.

• SeabrookFlash
    463 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2019 6:04 AM

You would have loved Oakmont #9 front pin behind the trap. THAT was the hardest hole on WGT, until we lost Oakmont

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2019 7:16 AM

I loved Oakmont. Great Course and should be coming back for the US Open in 2025, if I'm still alive, lol

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2019 5:11 PM

DonCaron:

Yes, you have to be in front of the pin on Merion. I have chipped in there also.

Beth 15 front pin is great.  High elevation usually add 10 more than what it says on yardage,  depends on wind if you can aim slightly long to the left of pin it will roll back towards hole. 

The back pin is a different story   lol

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2019 6:07 PM

mantis0014:

DonCaron:

Beth 15 front pin is great.  High elevation usually add 10 more than what it says on yardage,  depends on wind if you can aim slightly long to the left of pin it will roll back towards hole. 

The back pin is a different story   lol

Ever since I advanced to Legend I actually look forward to playing BPB #15 against TMs and below. AFAIK it’s the only hole in WGT that plays shorter for Legends than TM. 

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2019 6:08 PM

I play the front pin below and straight on(slightly right) it regardless of length....I think you will find it very easy to read and putt and make lots of birdies...

Of course you'll get close and Have other types of shots but I would miss below by choice,  easy putt to read, not much break if any.,...below is good, above, left, right, can be VERY bad LOL

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sat, Feb 16 2019 6:12 PM

fatdan:

I play the front pin below and straight on(slightly right) it regardless of length....I think you will find it very easy to read and putt and make lots of birdies...

Of course you'll get close and Have other types of shots but I would miss below by choice,  easy putt to read, not much break if any.,...below is good, above, left, right, can be VERY bad LOL

Have I got my holes mixed up?  Lol

If you land short on Merion 15 with front pin it rolls off the green no? 

• PAGES
RSS