Forums

Help › Forums

Re: A Change to Member's Statistics

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jan 21 2019 5:22 PM (8 replies)
  • crmamx
    369 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 9:58 AM

Individual statistics are a good tool if you are trying to improve your scores. Avg dist to pin, fairways hit, greens in regulation and putts 5-10 ft are the ones I pay most attention to. But they are worthless because they include stats from day 1. My stats today bear no resemblance to what they were 10 months ago.

I asked WGT in an email some months ago to give us the ability to zero out those individual stats that did not affect any other game numbers. For example, total ranked rounds is used elsewhere and could not be zeroed out. But avg distance to pin affects nothing else and is used only by me.

Their answer was "We have no plans for that. Sorry for any inconvenience this might cause."

Being a programmer myself this would require about 15 minutes of labor with 10 of those minutes for coffee and donuts.

Curtis

• AlaskanDame
    18,958 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 10:22 AM

Seems logical to me that they should re-set when you change tiers, just like averages do.  Oh well. . . . 

• crmamx
    369 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:28 PM

AlaskanDame:

Seems logical to me that they should re-set when you change tiers, just like averages do.  Oh well. . . . 

That would certainly be better than nothing but it will take me at least another year to labor thru the Legend Tier and they would soon become meaningless again.

Curtis

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:54 PM

crmamx:
    Being a programmer myself this would require about 15 minutes of labor with 10 of those minutes for coffee and donuts.

Oh - so you would try to dredge up the records of millions of people that have signed up since this game began and try to re-create data that was never kept - and all that in 5 minutes?

If you want to keep your own separate records, by all means do it.  I keep a few now, but only to track actual ranked rounds and a few other stats to see how I am doing.  You could do that for yourself - it takes a few minutes every now and then.

Stats are what they are.  There is no business case for WGT to change them, so they won't.  I know if I look at someone's stats and how long they have played - it covers everything.  Re-zeroing them really serves no purpose.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 12:56 PM

I would love to see stats reset, too. The problem is, this is a math based game and the entire scheme WGT employs would have to be altered. Levels and tiers all depend on the accumulation of these numbers and making changes to them would presumably cause chaos.

Maybe some sort of add-on where you could track certain stats could work. WGT might even eyeball that as another income stream and sell it in the PS.  :-)

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 3:30 PM

@crmamx

At best, I think the individual stats are interesting. I don't know how much additional information they really provide to help players improve their game. Intuitively, anyone who plays a lot and pays attention to their game should know what to work on.

Sure, it provides an easy way to identify where there may be a problem. I think the stats best for that are GIR, scrambling, and sand saves. The putting stat is also useful.

But for that stat, I've never paid any attention to attention to putt percent by distance. Personally, I think those numbers were never really all that worthwhile. For me, putts per hole is more helpful as is one-putt percent. But that could just be me.

Moreover, some of those stats can be easily skewed (for example, distance to pin). Additionally, if a person plays a lot of alt shot or match play, the stats can become worthless quite quickly (or at least dated). And allowing them to be updated by giving players the ability to zero them out seems problematic.

So, to me, the stats are interesting. But I've only really paid attention to average putts per hole, GIR, and scrambling. I figured if I took care of those, for the most part, everything else would fall into place.

And then once I got those to a certain level (that I had as a goal), I stopped paying much attention to them (in the sense of using them to improve my game).

But all of that is just my approach.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 4:34 PM

Robert1893:
    I don't know how much additional information they really provide to help players improve their game.

It serves a much more useful purpose when assessing an opponents game. Even as distorted as they are, when you factor in the time the player has in versus what you see in the stats, you can get an idea of what kind of player they are. 

• opyeuclid
    6,706 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 5:16 PM

YankeeJim:
    when you factor in the time the player has in versus what you see in the stats, you can get an idea of what kind of player they are. 

That is the truth in many ways .

OPY 

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Mon, Jan 21 2019 5:22 PM

YankeeJim:
    It serves a much more useful purpose when assessing an opponents game. Even as distorted as they are, when you factor in the time the player has in versus what you see in the stats, you can get an idea of what kind of player they are. 

Agreed.

RSS