Forums

Help › Forums

Re: L100 Callaway Rouge Pro vs. L97 Callaway Rogue Irons?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Mar 26 2019 11:09 AM (20 replies)
  • el3n1
    4,491 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 7:56 AM

Jimbog1964:
    I would strongly suggest you consider the L90 irons.  They will play an awful lot like the even higher irons, and that 3 iron distance/trajectory is particularly a step up v the L85s.

I agree those are very good sticks--- provided you can handle the meter and if you caught Doc's comment --- I am almost certain he would not like them given they have one of the fastest meters of the higher end clubs... that doesn't dismiss them by any means, except in his case and what he is looking for... 

DoctorLarry:
    (Meter speed is a problem for me, with my hand-eye coordination getting worse!)

He could slow them down with the slowest meter ball out there, but then it nearly doubles his ball cost if he was usually playing the L34 Cally.  The ball cost would quickly outweigh the short term benefit provided he could still adjust to the meter speed.  but that is just what I gather from what I saw/read...

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 6:52 PM

Jimbog1964:

DoctorLarry:
    Edit - after going and reading the former post Don linked, I think I will probably stick with the L97s when I get there.  Or maybe not!

I would strongly suggest you consider the L90 irons.  They will play an awful lot like the even higher irons, and that 3 iron distance/trajectory is particularly a step up v the L85s.

Ball wise a good quality one (L33 is that but higher level will fizz more), and map it and map it again (maybe people in your CC can help)...............

GL :)

Thanks.  I assume you are referring to the L90 TM RSi2 irons?  They did not make my cut for meter speed - I am desperate to keep it 4 or better, and those are 3.0.

I agree about the mapping - I do that every time I try a different ball (at least a good sample map if not complete) and I did a pretty extensive map with my current clubs for the L81 TM balls.  I just don't see any improvement in distance like I expected.  Like I said - it may be the difference in spin that I am missing.

And yes - I have a very long time at Legend now!  I have about 70 RR since tiering up - probably at least 60 go towards saturation.  I am trying to track them now - LOL.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, Jan 13 2019 7:23 PM

Doc and el3,

I had not focused on the hand eye bit - i did miss that.

..................The hand eye bit  I can grasp.  I know a couple of years back I was out football (soccer for you guys) training with him (edit my son).  The ball was coming at my right side and I naturally went to get it.  All good so far but it just sailed past me LOL..........The mind was there but the body never reacted as it did once.  Similarly I also now use reading glasses..........

Obv I don't know exactly what your particular issue is, and you are obviously the best judge of that.  All I would say is the numbers WGT give out seem guides rather than this paired with that = exactly that.  Never studied it hard but basically try the L90 irons if not.  My guess is that with a L33 ball they would be too fast for you. Maybe a HL ball would help but that's more expense. Speed aside transitioning from the L90s to the L97s / 100s is a breeze as it's mostly covered off with the L90s (spin / trajectory), but that's pure line and length of flight. The L90s don't even give more forgiveness than the L85s, and so if it's ding control probably best looked past.  The L85s can allow great scoring, just get to that long approach at CCC 18th say and that L90 3 iron will be best (one example with speed aside).

DoctorLarry:
    I have about 70 RR since tiering up - probably at least 60 go towards saturation

EDIT:.............If that's the confirmed case post update you are ahead of me.  It was 500RRs at L and (check this bit) a threshold of 59 to tier up to TL (for whatever difference tiers make now of course).

• CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Sun, Feb 17 2019 1:10 AM

I prefer the LVL97 version over the LVL100's.  Especially if you use cheap balls, the meter speed is much better, and matches the rest of my clubs.

The LVL100's would be slightly better if you can handle the meter, or use slow meter balls.  The distances are identical, and the .1 extra precision is impossible to notice.  I bet they just added that to make the LVL100's appear "better" ;-)

• meresi
    84 Posts
    Sun, Mar 17 2019 8:04 PM

out of curiosity, how did you manage to reach level 104 within a couple of month?

meresi

• borntobesting
    9,605 Posts
    Mon, Mar 18 2019 8:28 AM

I have rented the l 97 irons a couple of times and found them to be quite inconsistent. With many  big deviations that I don’t get with the 100 irons.  And the 0.4 difference in meter speed is barely noticeable. 

• CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Thu, Mar 21 2019 9:50 PM

I went premium, and played this game all day & all night.  I didn't want it to take years to reach the end-game clubs, so I went all out, lol.

In hindsight though, it probably wasn't the greatest idea to rush through the levels that quickly. 

I've gotten a little tired of the game lately from over playing it, and find playing just 1-3 games a day makes the game feel much more enjoyable, and ever shot is more meaningful -- more like real golf.

Cheers.  :-)

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2019 9:47 AM

I've played quite a bit with both sets and the only big difference I've noticed (besides meter speed) is that mishits with lvl 97 will lose more distance than mishits with lvl 100.  Has to be a fairly sizeable late or early shot to notice it, but it's there.  I'm currently using 97s as they match meter speed of my other clubs more closely.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Fri, Mar 22 2019 12:43 PM

meresi:

out of curiosity, how did you manage to reach level 104 within a couple of month?

meresi

It is 6-7 months, but that is a good question.  I can only imagine playing 16 hours/day with Premier and other XP boosts.

Nearly 2200 ranked rounds!

• CosmicDreams
    45 Posts
    Sat, Mar 23 2019 11:22 PM

It wasn't too bad actually.  Most of those rounds were this short Par 3 custom course I played, so I was able to play those in like 8-10 mins. 

Plus, the XP glitch was around for about half of that time as well.

RSS