Help › Forums

Re: Merion #18 How Do You Get Close?

Fri, Feb 1 2019 1:47 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 11:20 AM

conveyorguy:

Remember watching...par for the course was the winning score...

In real golf thats very true. Par would be magic for Me

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 12:13 PM

Just avoid the bunker and set up for a pitch/chip from the fringe,or a long putt.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 1:05 PM

BPeterson8256:

This is what I have been doing, and it looks like it may produce the best results. I was just hoping there was something I was overlooking.

Let me be more explicit about #18 LOL

I assume I will par it as soon as the round starts if it is back left pin! I play it like I told you, but while attempting to dial that in I learned the putt from the back fringe, and the long putt from the back of the green very well and was usually close if I didn't make it, and every birdie I had was from there....

I had several 4-8ft putts on that hole just short or left of it and missed every one of them, so I actually preferred the longer putt from the back...part of this game!

I hope some of the top players weigh in on this thread, I would be interested in how they play it....

On Merion, I have MISSED more putts from 4ft or less than any other course, but I make more putts from 8-12ft.... I play to the side of the pin I know best, regardless of how long the putt is,,,.I have no idea how short putts break at Merion, so I avoid them like I do sand traps!

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Fri, Dec 14 2018 1:54 PM

fatdan:

On Merion, I have MISSED more putts from 4ft or less than any other course, but I make more putts from 8-12ft.... I play to the side of the pin I know best, regardless of how long the putt is,,,.I have no idea how short putts break at Merion, so I avoid them like I do sand traps!

I missed a 3' putt today

• TyMacni
    1,573 Posts
    Sat, Dec 15 2018 12:59 AM

DonCaron:

bluey403:

Did you actually know that the 2 pin positions we have at Merion are the exact same locations that  the USGA used in 2014 for rounds 3 & 4.

74 players made the cut and NOT ONE BIRDIE was recorded, that is 148 attempts and was agreed that it was the hardest hole ever played on the PGA tour

That's an interesting Tidbit. Good Research

Jack Nicklaus has given Merion the highest accolade, proclaiming, “Acre for acre, it may be the best test of golf in the world.”     

That’s some praise from a man who not only played on the finest courses during his Hall of Fame career, but built quite a few good ones, as well.

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Feb 1 2019 9:08 AM

BPeterson8256:

I would love some tips on how to birdie #18 at Merion. My specific issue is with the back pin location. It's not that the right pin is easy, but I at least know how to get close there with the perfect shot. My problem is getting close to the back pin. It is easy to make par with an up and down from behind the hole, but I would like to be able to make birdie without the lucky pitch or long putt. I will take any tips you are willing to give.

Thank you,  Brett

Merion front 9 has a hole that plays exactly like 18, #5 I think, with the back right pin location. Both holes have right-to-left sloping green that you can use to work your ball toward the pin. #5 is a little bit easier, only by virtue of distance. Learn how to attack 5 and you will have a very good idea on how to attack 18

• fobby1980
    310 Posts
    Fri, Feb 1 2019 12:48 PM

I stand by what I said. #7 is a short drivable par4. It’s nowhere close to playing like #18. #5 plays exactly like 18, down to its right-to-left fairway. Keep in mind I’m talking about its back right pin location, not front. 

• BPeterson8256
    2,903 Posts
    Fri, Feb 1 2019 1:47 PM

@fobby1980, I knew exactly what you meant, even when you thought it might be #6. Thanks for your thoughts. Sadly, I'm not very good at that back pin on 5 either. 😂

I wouldn't take any comments from the person who obviously doesn't know the course very well serious. Some people like flaunting their ignorance. I have noticed throughout the forum, that particular person chooses to flaunt theirs by insulting others. 

Happy weekend

Brett

• PAGES
RSS