Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Shanked Shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:18 PM (3 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,291 Posts
    Tue, Dec 11 2018 10:18 AM

i hate to bring up the dreaded word, but as I witnessed it again yesterday, I thought I would ask. Two weeks ago playing Erin Hills, I found myself just off the green by about 1 or 2 feet. I had a hole uphill from me, distance to the hole about 10 yds. I used my 60 degree lob wedge for a pitch shot. I’ve done so many times in similar circumstances at various courses. When the club made contact, the ball shot out 90 degrees to my left about 10 to 12 yds and stayed in the rough. I thought I was seeing things. Then yesterday when playing St. Andrews my opponent had a similar shot and he had the same result, 90 degrees to the left of contact. Both shots were solid shots, not mishits. So now I’m wondering...are shanks a programmed possibility? I have only seen it happen twice but I am now more than curious. Anyone else experience something similar?

• Beryman
    9,084 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 5:27 PM

ya...i see it all the time when playing uneven lies

• Robert1893
    7,650 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 6:02 PM

The only time I've seen it is when I accidentally moved the aim marker. So, it really wasn't a shank.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Dec 12 2018 8:18 PM

Robert1893:

The only time I've seen it is when I accidentally moved the aim marker. So, it really wasn't a shank.

When it happens to me, I realize I moved the aim marker to check flow on the green and forgot to put it where I wanted it!!

RSS