Help › Forums

Re: Short Greenside Bunker Shots

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jul 10 2019 8:22 AM (39 replies)
  • Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 7:58 AM

Cicero733:

Thanks for the suggestion. Since my original query I no longer carry a hybrid and I have the Cleveland 56, 60, and 64 degree wedges in my bag and have them mapped in 5 yd increments from 105 yds to 20 yds. From 20 yds in I generally use the 64 degree wedge for flop shots. The arrangement has worked out extremely well. I recently experimented with the MD 56 degree wedge and wasn’t happy with the result. The meter speed was better, but the spin characteristics associated with the Cleveland wedges were lacking.

Hi,

A lot of advice been given out, Some good & some not so good (all advice given with best of intentions)

Click on who's given the advice & click on their Stats, Approach & Chipping & look at their Sand Save % & what you are looking for is 80% meaning on average they get up n down for Birdie/Save Par 8+ times out of 10.

If you see someone hovering around 50% well that's OK but you can see that by following their method you'll probably be stuck at 50% unless you change tack.

I know one guy who uses a Formula & he's at 89% Sand Save % & i know another guy that literally hit from every lie, distance & elevation & noted carry & roll & he's at 93% Sand Save %.

Ken

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 8:37 AM

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 10:29 AM
    A lot times if I have a real short bunker shot, I will Flop it adding 10 to the distance and Full Backspin. Aim 3 Foot to the left of course. Thats about the best I can do.
  • Tony08888
    564 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 10:33 AM

Good point Ken. Thanks for the input.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 11:17 AM

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 12:03 PM

Yes I would agree with the moral of your story and that is probably the best approach to the 10 - 12 yd bunker shots. One other note, from real life experience, you do not want to go into any bunker at Oakmont because unless you are a pro or extremely well practiced the only shot you have once in a bunker is to try to get out in one. Your caddy will generally allow you as a non member two attempts before he asks you to pickup your ball and declare an unplayable lie.

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 2:24 PM

Tony08888:

Good point Ken. Sometimes I just jump in if I feel like I can help. After reading your post I went searching to see who you were talking about. Lol. After actually looking at my % I'm going back through and reading everyone else' techniques so I can improve!

lol all good Tony,

Going off on a tangent but i myself wouldn't give any advice on putting especially under 5 ft as I'm infamous from that distance in! ;)

Ken

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Tue, Jul 9 2019 2:26 PM

Robert1893:

Ken... dropping a truth bomb on the thread!

Damn right on my little toe that landed, right that rules me out of the Open, Oh well :(

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Wed, Jul 10 2019 8:04 AM

Robert1893:

Actually, with the Cleveland wedge, you can punch down as low as 18 yards. Even at that distance, I think it's superior to a flop. 

I've holed a few from that distance, while leaving the remainder (typically) a foot or less away from the cup. 

Under 25 yrds pitch is superior.

Pitch gives you a line to work with and far better chance of holing out.

• Robert1893
    7,664 Posts
    Wed, Jul 10 2019 8:22 AM

RSS