Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Titleist Pro v (L40) vs Taylormade TP5X (L81)

Mon, Dec 17 2018 10:23 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2018 7:09 AM

el3n1:

wigii:
    Hello WGT players can anybody justify if the Titleist Pro v is a better ball then then Taylormade TP5 . The Taylormade is 75 cents cheaper with .5 more spin.

I know Kavvz tested this exact same ball comparison you are asking about and he appears to have settled on the L81 TM.  You could ask him for specifics if you like but I know he has test and played both of these balls. They may each have their own advantages depending on the course and conditions.  

I did do that yes, and basically concluded that there is very little difference between the 2.

In fact, I'm convinced that once you get above a certain decent ball level there is very little difference at all.

In that...you could give anyone who knows how to play the game a 33 Cally or a 90 Pro V and they'll shoot just as well with each and the adjustments they'll need to make will be minimal.  

i.e.  it's not ball.  It's your equipment and what's between your ears.

People then might ask then why do you use that 81 TM?  The answer is easy...it's the one that works best for me in that it's what I'm willing to spend CR's on, and I know what it'll do with my equipment of choice.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 28 2018 7:12 AM

kavvz:
    People then might ask then why do you use that 81 TM?  The answer is easy...it's the one that works best for me in that it's what I'm willing to spend CR's on, and I know what it'll do with my equipment of choice.

In a nutshell.  :-)

• el3n1
    4,494 Posts
    Mon, Dec 17 2018 9:28 AM

kavvz:

It (l81 ball, like the L61) also plays qualitatively better across all courses and wind and green speeds than lower end balls like the Srixon and L33 Cally, along with a slower meter.  If it didn't play better in heavy winds and longer courses like EH and CB, then there would be far less reason to spend more credits, double actually, than what you could be spending if the lower end balls played just as competitively in heavy winds and more challenging courses (ie longer).  

Even small factors that can save even 1 stroke can make a huge difference in the competitive events, where one or two shots over several rounds can make the difference.  Unless of course you can putt lights out every time, then your putting can offset some of the shortcomings of the balls because you are not as concerned with your proximity to pin average.  

This doesn't mean you are not making a fair generalized comment, but it just seems to me you may be oversimplifying it a little.  This game can be about "very small edges" that can make even a small difference over the course of a round that give you more looks at birdie and in turn increasing your odds or chances of going low even if it is only 1 shot over 9 holes or 2 over 18… they all make a difference... however small it can be what starts to separate players at the top... when they are all using essentially the same equipment... they start looking for the next small edge that may get them one stroke lower and for some that is with the ball they choose... but I rarely see any of them doing that with a ball less than 450 credits.  And sometimes, they change which ball they use based on the course and conditions for that event.  That suggest the ball can make a difference, especially on certain courses.

• DoctorLarry
    4,276 Posts
    Mon, Dec 17 2018 10:23 AM

YankeeJim:

kavvz:

In a nutshell.  :-)

Agree and agree.

Advice from others is helpful, but finding what works for yourself is what matters.

• PAGES
RSS