Forums

Help › Forums

Re: PUTTER METER

Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:21 PM (8 replies)
  • largemouth51
    1,212 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2018 4:32 PM

I choose not to user a caddy so I have always wondered why WGT chooses the putter meter. I find they give you the wrong meter half the time and sometimes I have a blip of concentration and boom the putt. Just today I had a 6ft putt and thinking I had a 10ft meter ended up booming it off the green because it was 100. I know, I know its my fault for assuming but I wish you always got the same meter to start regardless of distance.

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2018 10:42 PM

AFAIK you cannot disable the caddy on the green, or anywhere.  We just have to include checking everything before making each shot.  I do the same sometimes.

• alosso
    21,028 Posts
    Tue, Nov 20 2018 11:24 PM

+1 Doc!

It's Step One of any preshot routine to check the surface. "Fringe" should ring the alarm bells!

Step Two: Check the club/scale selected and estimate that WGT's choice is wrong. For putter, it's not a guess but a fact!

=> Change the putter meter on any putt!

(and consider to chip or flop from fringe)

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 1:44 AM

I still make the same "mistake", too. It can be VERY frustrating especially when you're about to submit one of the lowest scores in your WGT career ever. *Sigh*

I try to double-check it, but often forget not to forget it... Whenever it happens, I try to remember it's only a game and laugh away.

Cheers and play well!

Simon

• twinponds169
    3,004 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 5:58 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    I still make the same "mistake", too. It can be VERY frustrating especially when you're about to submit one of the lowest scores in your WGT career ever. *Sigh*

Or having a great chance to win in a club tournament. It drives me crazy. I've gone 6 month stretches with doing this maybe once at most, but lately? Grr, probably 20 times in the last 2 months. I know it should be an automatic thing in your head in a putting routine, but it's been killing me lately, lol. I think part of the problem is with more experience I tend to play at a faster pace than before and the double checking is not as focused. There are times when I think I'm clicking from a 30 to a 60 when I actually only clicked from a 15 to a 30. I think I also have a habit of clicking up one higher power but not having the click register and not noticing it. It is frustrating and unless WGT eliminates a pre-selected power and forces you to choose your own before you putt, then the only solution for me is to slow my butt down and make sure I have it set right, lol.

With all that said, I have never used the wrong meter power from the fringe. If I'm on fringe I KNOW the first thing I do is reset the meter, and perhaps the club as well sometimes. Wish i could get that in my head on ALL putts, lol!

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 10:14 AM

Sometimes I will be on the green and the club is 135. I change back to the proper increment for the putter and the distance is still yards. Of course I come up short because I'm thinking feet.

My Fault entirely 

• DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 1:29 PM

One of the other mistakes I have made before a shot is accidentally hitting the scroll wheel on my mouse either before or when clicking the button to hit the ball.  That will change whatever was last selected, which might have been the meter scale, the club, or the type of shot.  That leads to some really bad shots that have you scratching your head and blaming WGT for being erratic!  

• DavStan
    255 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 6:43 PM

DoctorLarry:

AFAIK you cannot disable the caddy on the green, or anywhere.  We just have to include checking everything before making each shot.  I do the same sometimes.

if your talking about disabling caddy on the green your right, but you can disable your caddy from Tee  to Green, I haven't used the caddy in years!

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Wed, Nov 21 2018 9:21 PM

twinponds169:

the only solution for me is to slow my butt down and make sure I have it set right, lol. [...] Wish i could get that in my head on ALL putts, lol!

Yup, very true and so do I.

In my case personally, I commit this kind of absurd mistakes mostly when/after I'm too much focused on other stuff such as reading severe breaks on green surface, estimating wind directions & strengths, observing landing green slopes closely, Teemo scratching my legs 'cause he's hungry or wants to play catchball with me, pretending as if I'm doing some work-related stuff whenever my wife is around my desk, etc., etc.

I'm just thankful that I, as a mobile player, don't have to worry about accidentally scrolling the mouse wheel right before a shot execution. LOL This would be totally devastating and demoralizing...

RSS