Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Nike VR Forged Irons

Sat, Nov 17 2018 1:56 PM (6 replies)
  • VogieScratch
    353 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2018 6:54 AM

Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in performance of their Nike VR Forged Irons?  I don't remember what level they were since the clubs have been discontinued, but the range is 115-220 yds with high trajectory.

In the past few weeks I've noticed a distinct fall off in distance on my irons.  It got to the point where I took notes on all the conditions when hitting iron shots and found shots coming up 5-8 yds shorter than they did last year.  For a long time I thought the variance was from mis-hits or poor judgement of wind or elevation changes, but last week I took note of several shots under low wind conditions, minimal elevation changes and only counted shots where I hit the "Ding".

I've played the game long enough (4 years >2,500 ranked rounds) to know how my equipment performs, even allowing for the occasional, random WTF shot which is part of the game, whether on line or IRL. I play for fun/entertainment so I don't keep a meticulous chart of everything, but I know what should happen when I hit a good shot, especially in relatively benign conditions.

Driver, 3 wood, wedges and putter are still working as expected, just the irons seem to have lost their touch.

If no one else is having this unique problem, then I guess it's just me and my imagination, but my working theory is Top Golf wants me to buy new irons, especially since my Nike's were dropped many months ago.

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2018 8:16 AM

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2018 11:32 AM

I’ve noticed changes lately with my irons, played longer than what they used to hit. I play on Mobile, so I just uninstalled, and reinstalled, everything went back to normal. It’s a video game, and these sudden changes are expected.

• SlickHunter
    1,034 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2018 11:32 AM

I’ve noticed changes lately with my irons, played longer than what they used to hit. I play on Mobile, so I just uninstalled, and reinstalled, everything went back to normal. It’s a video game, and these sudden changes are expected.

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2018 11:01 PM

SlickHunter:

Interesting, thanks.  I don't play mobile but was involved in a thread about there being more weird shots in it recently.  I quoted your reply and pasted it there, hope that was OK.

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sat, Nov 17 2018 12:43 PM

VogieScratch:
    Has anyone else noticed a deterioration in performance of their Nike VR Forged Irons?  I don't remember what level they were since the clubs have been discontinued, but the range is 115-220 yds with high trajectory.

I had a break from this game for nearly two years, came back last week, still had my Nike irons from then. They did seem to sometimes "play" odd.

Got rid, obviously for peanuts but bought the Callaways,.....not bad, i just wish my game did them justice.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Nov 17 2018 1:56 PM

VogieScratch:

I used to have those and now have the Vapors-same clubs with better attributes. I haven't seen a deterioration in their performance but I do see what you're seeing, if that makes sense. It's cyclical. Sometimes everything's short, other times they're flying like an SST. 

Personally, I think it's the erratic nature of the TM ball and we both use them. They play like they're filled with cotton and just don't carry right all the time. I played the equivalent Titleist for a month just to see if I was nuts or something but I ain't. LOL 

I went back to the TM ball and accepted that they weren't as solid as the Titleist but I also learned that they play well when you club up and choke swings. Headwinds are quite manageable with a higher club and prudent spin-the control is very good.

Maybe adjust your thinking a little and try the 81 I use instead of your 96. What's to lose?  :-)

RSS