Help › Forums

Re: Curious?

Mon, Nov 26 2018 10:06 PM (7 replies)
  • overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Sat, Nov 10 2018 3:03 PM

Hello everyone.

Just seeking different views;

When a CC member creates a CC "payout" tournament do you think it is appropriate they compete in the tournament that they created so that other cc members have an opportunity to win some credits, especially when the creator of the tournament is one of the top 3 or 4 players in the club?

I am just seeking some different views not just for myself but for my members as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. TY. OTE

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Sun, Nov 11 2018 3:57 PM
    I tend to agree with you. Probably in every cc you will have certain players that tend to clean up on credit comps. I've learned to set the tourneys up by using the tier system. It doesn't eliminate all the players that clean up, but it evens the board a bit. I refuse to enter any competition that awards credits, or even gifted items. As an owner, I don't feel that it's correct for me to play, lower tiers tend to be intimidated, and then they won't play, not cool in my book. I have even used what we used to have years ago, called the Roscoe payout system. Choose the places that you want to payout to, list them in description, say that you will pay out to 2nd, 5th, and 6th place, then gift those winners the gifts. But that's just the way I see it.
  • overtheedge
    5,878 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2018 3:06 PM

Luckystar5:
    I tend to agree with you. Probably in every cc you will have certain players that tend to clean up on credit comps. I've learned to set the tourneys up by using the tier system. It doesn't eliminate all the players that clean up, but it evens the board a bit. I refuse to enter any competition that awards credits, or even gifted items. As an owner, I don't feel that it's correct for me to play, lower tiers tend to be intimidated, and then they won't play, not cool in my book. I have even used what we used to have years ago, called the Roscoe payout system. Choose the places that you want to payout to, list them in description, say that you will pay out to 2nd, 5th, and 6th place, then gift those winners the gifts. But that's just the way I see it.

Thanks for the take Lucky.

It seems not too many players want to touch this topic,,lol. There is nothing wrong with the topic or the views of other players who justify playing in a payout tournament they created. I just wanted to get some different views.

I for one feel it is not a "true" contribution to the tournament. If someone in good faith and contribution creates a payout tournament so that other players have a chance to win a few credits then why would this player compete to win his /her own credits back.

Again, just a thought. OTE

• Lesthanpar
    1,448 Posts
    Sun, Nov 25 2018 11:53 PM

I have made tournaments in my club that have small payouts though not recently. I just looked at it as I had a chance to win some of my credits I put up back and it made it a little more fun for everyone to play with a little incentive. I would never make a payout tourney where other players are expected to pay so I could try to cash in on them. nor would I pay to play in one someone else made.

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 2:17 AM
    Lesthanpar:

I have made tournaments in my club that have small payouts though not recently. I just looked at it as I had a chance to win some of my credits I put up back and it made it a little more fun for everyone to play with a little incentive. I would never make a payout tourney where other players are expected to pay so I could try to cash in on them. nor would I pay to play in one someone else made.

Either way, it may give the appearance, of trying to hustle your membership. You're using the credits, or gifts, as an incentive to promote players to join in. By you playing, may remove any such incentive. Just my nickle.
  • Lesthanpar
    1,448 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 11:09 AM

I see your point, better if I do not play sometimes. I guess it depends on how well you know the other people in the club and how close you are with them. To me it was like golf buddies bet a few bucks on the game like who buys drinks after the round just to make it fun. I do not see offering credits as a hustle or trying to gain something from other players but it is an attempt to offer an incentive to play.Many clubs have very low participation rates and all I was trying to do was offer up some credits to get more people to play. 

• Luckystar5
    1,636 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 11:24 AM
    Lesthanpar:

I see your point, better if I do not play sometimes. I guess it depends on how well you know the other people in the club and how close you are with them. To me it was like golf buddies bet a few bucks on the game like who buys drinks after the round just to make it fun. I do not see offering credits as a hustle or trying to gain something from other players but it is an attempt to offer an incentive to play.Many clubs have very low participation rates and all I was trying to do was offer up some credits to get more people to play. 

I should have looked at your membership, with the very large number of higher tiers, they probably wouldn't think about a hustle, which I didn't mean to imply, that you would. I've found that the most participation came when credits were added and a small entry fee was charged, and using the set of the week. Doesn't count against avgs, and it's different enough to be fun. There is one rule of thumb, seems that no matter what you do, 30%; participation is a pretty good number, to get to play. Your members are high enough tiered, that they don't need clubs, maybe a sleeve of balls. Without offering up a larger sized credit award, your members probably aren't going to be very motivated to join in.
  • DoctorLarry
    4,275 Posts
    Mon, Nov 26 2018 10:06 PM

overtheedge:

Hello everyone.

Just seeking different views;

When a CC member creates a CC "payout" tournament do you think it is appropriate they compete in the tournament that they created so that other cc members have an opportunity to win some credits, especially when the creator of the tournament is one of the top 3 or 4 players in the club?

I am just seeking some different views not just for myself but for my members as well.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. TY. OTE

I see absolutely no problem with the person that creates and funds a CC tournament playing in that tournament - unless it is a "winner-take-all".  I set up the tournies I create with payout to the top 10, which pays 40%, 20%, 10%, 9%, 6%, 5%, 4%, 3%, 2%, 1%, respectively.  Even if the creator wins the tourney, they are still providing 60% of the purse to the rest of the club and if they finish lower than first, the vast majority of the purse goes to others in the CC.  Spending 100 credits to make only 0-40 credits is not a winning proposition for the creator but it is gravy to all other players in the tourney.

I do like tiered tournaments so there is more balance and a chance for lower tier players to win!

RSS