Help › Forums

Re: Winds pattern changes?

Fri, Nov 23 2018 11:00 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ELTIGRILLO
    8 Posts
    Wed, Nov 7 2018 7:10 PM

Hello WGT,

I have been around since 2009 and have grown sick of the jerky meter and $@## wind patterns to keep the list short. I myself spend a pretty penny on the balls that are supposed to give me more distance and slow my meter. Guess what? no extra distance if all we get are headwinds. Oh, forgot to mention the lost balls keep adding up with your unstable meter. 

SMH

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Nov 7 2018 8:35 PM

If you've been around that long, you should have figured out -- years ago -- that WGT is not in charge of your meter. Your computer is! And please, no one gets headwinds all the time (even though some rounds it seems like it). Just like in real life, take one (or two, in extreme cases) club(s) less or more to compensate,

• ELTIGRILLO
    8 Posts
    Wed, Nov 7 2018 8:52 PM

Hello sir,

Actually sir,  the computer is not in charge of the meter. You see, I am on a 2017 MacBook Pro with tons of memory/RAM in addition to very stable internet speeds of 150 Mbps+. I have attempted to play on similar devices on a enterprise grade network and guess what? The meter still lags.

• carlosdev
    2,528 Posts
    Wed, Nov 7 2018 9:40 PM

ELTIGRILLO:

Hello sir,

Actually sir,  the computer is not in charge of the meter. You see, I am on a 2017 MacBook Pro with tons of memory/RAM in addition to very stable internet speeds of 150 Mbps+. I have attempted to play on similar devices on a enterprise grade network and guess what? The meter still lags.

As a Mac user myself, which browser are you using? if I use chrome or Firefox, my meter is like electrified everytime. Most of the people use safari including myself. Once in full moon I also get worse meter but then I try clearing browsing history n be back to normal. End of the day, you are going to get miss ding or jumping meter no matter what ;) 

- Carl

• callaghan159
    6,220 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2018 2:24 AM

I use chrome and no issues on my end, I don't even clear my cache as many suggest.

• Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2018 4:09 AM

Havent had meter issues in years.I currently play on a 2017 Imac using WaterFox.

• SKrietz
    835 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:51 AM

ELTIGRILLO:
    $@## wind patterns

you want to complain about wind as a TM you havn't seen nothing yet wait until or if you make it to champion tier its even more of a challenge. I would try some more practice and let me say more practice because it will get more difficult.  my 2 cents

• DonCaron
    5,502 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2018 5:33 PM

SKrietz:
    you want to complain about wind as a TM you havn't seen nothing yet wait until or if you make it to champion tier its even more of a challenge. I would try some more practice and let me say more practice because it will get more difficult.  my 2 cents

+1000

• jacktrade51
    10,890 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2018 8:00 PM

Winds are variable, even if it says 16-18 might be 15-19.

Plus, some holes play longer or shorter; one has to learn that.  If you have a 0 wind on Cong #4 (hope I have hole right, with the bunker and tree), and you play it to exact distance, you will end up in bunker.  It's a learning process.

In the end, learn to putt.  Cures all sins, although I am not a great putter.

• Miantiao
    401 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2018 9:19 PM

The more expensive balls require more yardage to account for the extra spin, particularly on longer approaches with long irons. They will also move much further in a lateral breeze.

Elevation will also require more club with an expensive ball, and well as more adjustment for lateral breeze - the ball stays in the air longer.

I use a mid range ball with 3.5 spin, as do a few others that regularly win credits in paid tournaments. Even this amount of spin will require an extra five yrds for most irons.

I use the Nike irons and each club plays differently regarding spin. I think you'll find all club sets have their nuances. For eg: my 7 iron does not require me to add yardage to account for spin with the ball I use, 150 will land 150. However, my 120 wedge will land 113-114 with full backspin. 

80-85% backspin on Driver will generally get you the most distance off the tee. However, playing topspin into the wind on courses such as St Andrews will get you further down the fairway.

Happy hitting!

Mike

• PAGES
RSS