Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Jan 9 2019 6:16 PM

Alas, those are not WGT issues, they are pilot error issues, of which I've been guilty many the time.

• DufferDuce
    96 Posts
    Fri, Feb 15 2019 10:14 AM

Putting Distance Control

Message me via the WGT messaging system and I will be glad to let you know how to determine putting distance and how to putt exactly that distance.

DufferDuce

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Feb 16 2019 5:28 PM

DufferDuce:
    Message me via the WGT messaging system and I will be glad to let you know how to determine putting distance and how to putt exactly that distance.

Got the big secret, do ya? LOL

You might want to work on it a little more, get those putting stats into this world.  ;-)

• RogueMedic007
    2 Posts
    Sat, Sep 28 2019 1:08 PM
    So very helpful! Thank you!!!!
  • Tony08888
    558 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 9:59 AM

I didn't want to start a new thread about putting distance power since there are so many.

But this is a question about using the putter pal.

When using the putter pal it seems like it would be right to add a little extra power for uphill and a little less for downhill despite the exact amount of what the putter pal says.

But I've noticed the opposite. On downhill putts, I have to give it a little extra oomph, and uphill' I have to back off a little.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 12:58 PM

Tony08888:
    despite the exact amount of what the putter pal says.

That PP is nothing more than a ruler or piece of tape with hashmarks on it. It doesn't tell you anything, you have to figure out what the value of the marks is by practicing. Your thinking is correct.  :-)

• Mythanatos
    2,199 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 1:25 PM

i think he means the green "suggested" power band that sits in putter pal.

In which case mostly ignore it. I leave it on but only to help me catch when i have the wrong meter up. 

• Cicero733
    2,290 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 3:04 PM

Yes you are correct, more for downhill, less for uphill if you are using the green bar device. HOWEVER, in many cases, especially downhill putts and especially on certain courses (RSA, RSG, BPB come to mind off the top of my head) the green bar recommended distance is off, usually short by a foot or so and you have to adjust for that. Plus from the fringe you need to add about 2 feet additional. The grid color will also alert you to special circumstances where much less/more power is required, light blue going up hill and light orange going downhill I think it is. When those colors appear you need to adjust power and again it is usually less power for uphill and more power for downhill. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,876 Posts
    Mon, Feb 24 2020 4:49 PM

• gillian5048
    153 Posts
    Sun, Apr 26 2020 11:26 AM

thanks! my friend and I often find our putts falling a bit short; now I understand why :)

RSS