Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • Yiannis1970
    3,261 Posts
    Fri, Apr 6 2018 1:38 AM

Your guess Jim was absolutely correct. After a 3 par round eveything in stats changes. % and number of strokes. So, it's safe to say that every round is taken in account for the stats. Still, numbers do not match though...well, we can live with that i believe.

:)

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 8:09 AM

@ NALO1210

I found all your numbers come up short, try these.

Tweak a little more for wind and speeds in between those listed below.

Method:

Putt length,  add or minus elevation + 2 feet by green speed factor X

Example:  25 foot on  Champion green,  speed  *13

25 +5 ft  (elevation) = 30  X  .64   =  19.2  + 2 feet  = 21.2  = putt  22 feet.

If you're not good at mental maths, an online calculator page open is useful during your round.

Green Speed         X Putt Length by below  =   Distance 

7.9                           1.11

9                              0.90       

10                             0.825

11                             0.76

12                             0.69

*13                             0.64

14                             0.58

More Tips:

Pitching:  search.aspx?q=wgt pitching tips help

Chipping: search.aspx?q=wgt chipping tips help

Bunkers:  search.aspx?q=bunker tips help

Flops:  search.aspx?q=wgt flop shots tips help

Uneven lies:  search.aspx?q=help tips uneven lies

• NALO1210
    186 Posts
    Tue, Apr 10 2018 10:18 AM

@Dubfore

I do not want to appear rude, but why should I change my calculation? I think the success proves me right. Of course, everyone can use the best system for themselves. These numbers should be just a clue for the players who want to use it. With these lengths, which are always long enough, you will normally never have more than 2 putts.

best

Petra

• horrn
    9 Posts
    Thu, May 10 2018 10:04 AM

I am confused. When purchasing a putter the higher the number the longer you hot the ball. On BALLS, Is the lower the number the lower the meter speed or vis versa. Thanks.

• pmm711
    5,505 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2018 10:40 AM

NALO1210:

@Dubfore

I do not want to appear rude, but why should I change my calculation? I think the success proves me right. Of course, everyone can use the best system for themselves. These numbers should be just a clue for the players who want to use it. With these lengths, which are always long enough, you will normally never have more than 2 putts.

best

Petra

Who is to argue as you have a 72.89% 1-putt %.  That number is frigg'in insane. 

Yiannis and Mags also over 70%...

Totally mind bobbling...

I tip my hat to all you guys with numbers like that.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 11 2018 12:08 PM

horrn:

I am confused. When purchasing a putter the higher the number the longer you hot the ball. On BALLS, Is the lower the number the lower the meter speed or vis versa. Thanks.

None of the numbers have anything to do with how far a hit goes with a putter. On the meter, the slowest speed will have the highest number.

• OU812Mch
    1 Posts
    Mon, Jun 4 2018 4:50 PM

That was invaluable information on putting...my weakest part of my game by far, because I was not correctly reading the grid lines or the putt pal meter. Bottom line is I need to purchase a good putter, and I need to practice. Thanks.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Jun 5 2018 11:30 AM

pmm711:

Who is to argue as you have a 72.89% 1-putt %.  That number is frigg'in insane. 

Yiannis and Mags also over 70%...

Totally mind bobbling...

I tip my hat to all you guys with numbers like that.

Those are indeed exceptional stats. Bear in mind- since this is a thread about PUTTING, that 1 putt % stats are also a function of "proximity to the hole" on approach, which these folks do very well. 

• Robert1893
    7,651 Posts
    Tue, Jun 5 2018 12:27 PM

• SplashLewis
    357 Posts
    Mon, Aug 6 2018 11:39 AM

goldeena:

The additional down-slope factor for a stimp 12 would read like this, as a formula:

=(($D$2/($D$1/10))/6)*($D$1/10)

It says:

1. divide the putt length by 10

2. divide the elevation/ decline (in inches) by the figure you got from 1.

3a. for downslopes: divide the figure you got from 2. by 6 for tournament 12 or 4 for championship 13.

3b. for upslopes: divide the figure you got from 2. by 8 for tournament or 6 for championship 13

4. multiply the figure you got in 3. by the figure you got in 1.

5. add the result you got in 4. to the standard equation (the result in 4. comes out negative for downslopes so you are subtracting it in effect).

6. It takes an 'IF' logic function to steer the final answer box in your spreadsheet to the right outcome (i.e. upslope or downslope), you just do this by saying (IF(number in the elevation box>0;answer for upslope box;answer for downslope box).

These formula will land you pretty much on the hole so you have to add an extra half a foot -

Hi,  I like the excel approach.  Your slope adjustment looks interesting.  I'm going to add it to my putting formula. Excited to try it out today.

added the "IF" statement to your slope adjustment formula for Championship greens.

=IF(F5<0,((F5/(F4/10))/4)*(F4/10),((F5/(F4/10))/6)*(F4/10))

RSS