Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2016 9:51 AM

ParFortyseven:

BTW, what is "VEM?"

Regards,

P-47

"Variable Equipment Model" or "Virtual Equipment Module" or some such- as your skill level improves (or declines) "VEM" adjusts the properties of your clubs/balls to make the game either more difficult or in some cases, easier. Lots of forum posts on the topic...

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2016 10:22 AM

skccvb:
    "VEM" adjusts the properties of your clubs/balls

No it doesn't. The equipment doesn't change, just the difficulty of the game and that is based on stroke performance in ranked rounds.

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2016 11:28 AM

Well, not wanting to challenge anyone here, Jim, however maybe you can explain how "the difficulty of the game" changes if in fact it is not a variable related to the equipment performance - then what?

In other words, hit exact same shot (or putt) at different times, get a very different result. Maybe semantics here, point is- game is "easier"some days, "harder" others- VEM. Spose HOW that happens is both debatable and not the point.   :) 

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2016 11:42 AM

And, of course the so called VEM is a patent held by the CEO of WGT, Yuchiang Cheng for Variable Equipment Module, and the patent is an interesting thing to read.   It sort of makes sense if you read the methodology.  It (VEM) automatically senses an increase or decrease in the users skills with the equipment use in regard to the representation and automatically either decreases or increases the size of the sweet spot of the club.  Interesting concept, but apparently over applied in some cases.

~from an old post

Just sayin' Jim.....     :)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2016 11:53 AM

You're confusing sweet spot with club attributes. Sweet spots can easily be adjusted by use of the built in club deviations. The club doesn't change, the variables surrounding the shot do.

If you think about how many times players come on here and complain that the clubs don't work as well as they did when they first got them, it's because their history of use with them is being factored in. The better you hit them, the stronger the penalty for mistakes. The game just needs history to work.

p.s., Prob the wrong place for this discussion. This is a great thread for putting.  ;-)

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2016 12:05 PM

You are probably right, and splitting more hairs might just get frustrating for all....

:)

• ParFortyseven
    60 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2016 2:14 AM

Thank you all for explaining "VEM;"  it was very enlightening.  If these things can be tweaked by WGT as they see fit, then I strongly suggest that they also build in a factor for one's diminishing skills as one grows older.  At 67 years old, my hand/eye coordination is not what it was at twenty-five.  If I am playing against a much younger "Tour Master," and everything is, supposedly, equal, then he or she has a distinct advantage over me.  Arnold Palmer was still Arnold Palmer, but he was not the same player the last time he was able to qualify for the final two rounds of the Masters at Augusta.  Perhaps a "Senior Tour" on WGT would be appropriate?

P-47

• skccvb
    799 Posts
    Wed, Jun 8 2016 3:40 PM

• dlorenzn
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jul 5 2016 3:43 PM

Hello, first time post! I'm hoping to get some advice on putters without having to read over a 100 pages of this forum. (sorry, just don't have that much time) I'm currently using the starter putter and tried the spider ghost a couple days ago with below average results. The way I'm putting is by using the aim marker and then accounting for distance. I play on an iPad and while I'd love to "ding" it every time it's realistically more like 30% of the time while putting and probably that same percent with all my clubs. I've looked at the L19 spider and L35 ghost but I'm asking for some advice on what type of putter would be best suited for my current putting style. Thanks!  

RSS