Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • StephanieCA
    258 Posts
    Thu, May 26 2016 2:35 PM

Hi Jim, 

I guess there are not "movements" or putter jerks in the mobile version so I am not accustomed to them. There are dots which show lateral movement and forward & back (for slope judgement) which are very helpful. Sorry if I created confusion.

Steph

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2016 5:13 AM

ECK13:
    how do I know how short to stop meter left of center?

It's a trial and error thing and depends on how fast the dots are rolling-slow dots,little miss, fast dots, bigger miss. TBH, this isn't the best way to go about putting, IMO. The Ghost putter works great if you ding it so I would look at trying to do that and focus on how far to move the flag, now that you know which direction it needs to move. 

A lot of players will move the flag a little AND miss the ding a little on the correct side. I used the higher level Ghost putter for a long time and it always worked best for me by dinging it. If you want to putt by missing the ding, the Rossa putter was always really good for this. A lot of players still have it for this reason.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2016 5:51 PM

For anyone who struggles with putting, learning it by using ding only might help.  

Concentrate on getting all the basics right, and then build missing the ding in after that if desired.

Just one to consider.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Fri, May 27 2016 9:29 PM

Very smart advice. And please remember, putting is more of an art than a science.

Jimbog1964:

For anyone who struggles with putting, learning it by using ding only might help.  

Concentrate on getting all the basics right, and then build missing the ding in after that if desired.

Just one to consider.

• localbistro
    237 Posts
    Sat, May 28 2016 12:04 AM

Hello there bro, lv81, 76.48? What you see is your problen on shooting better shotes.?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sat, May 28 2016 4:36 AM

pdb1:

Jimbog1964:

Been trying the ding for 4 years . Now that i can hit the ding sometimes . Not any closer to making any putts . Seems to be no rhyme or reason to the dots . What works once , doesn't work the next time . 

Putting wise the WGT side of things is really very good.  It's a strength that really helps it feel like RL.  OK no helping dots IRL or a meter, but a v fine video game.  OK there might be a v few holes where local knowledge is great, but just for this you can take it as perfect WGTs side.  When you get real good you will see what else to do, and also appreciate how good the WGT end is anyway...........

Do you set the meter scales at only depths you are used to?. You have a very good putter so not trying to overplay that.  Also do you go with deep set meters generally?  Most find a 10' putt easier to ding with say a 100'meter scale as little travel for example.   Get some confidence up at say Beth, and then take that elsewhere.............

Understand the whole line and length as well.  Move that market around in putting / reverse say chip views from the avatars feet to just past the hole....Basically build up a 3D minds eye RL view, then commit and fire.

• JFidanza
    1,676 Posts
    Sat, May 28 2016 10:06 PM

Jimbog1964:

For anyone who struggles with putting, learning it by using ding only might help.  Concentrate on getting all the basics right, and then build missing the ding in after that if desired.

+1

RSS