Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • JODYSWALLOWS
    448 Posts
    Tue, Aug 4 2015 9:03 PM

MY FIRST  FORMULA FOR WGT.

I dont  know  how  many of you  have  my  putting  formula I  made    a   while back if you  want this   copy and  paste it  in a  folder or  print  it.I hope yall can use  it.

Hi all  here it  is .as far as  i can tell its  perfect. read the flag  very carefuly.It might read ft instead of inches.Also put the calculator on your task bar. This works anywhere on WGT anytime, 

All  greens.        1 inch of elevation  is  1  ft. of distance  up  and  down

tourney  greens

If you  have a 20ft. putt  and its  5 inches  down,.  20-5=15.  so 15x .75=11. 25 ,      11. 25  is youre putt. if this putt goes to far  change it to x . 7.  the smaller  the number the less it goes.

if you  have  a  80 ft  putt and is down 2ft.      80-24=56.  so  56x .75=42 , so  42 ft. is your putt.   legend in the game is . 5 less.

20' + 5 = 25' x .80=20' this is youre putt. up  hill

Very  fast..85 up and .80  down  ,   legend present in game .5less

Fast  .90 up and .85 down     legend present .5  less

normal is 100%up  and .95 down    legend present .5   less

slow is 105% up and .95   down   legend present  .5 less

If these  numbers dont work for  youre kind of ball  or putter you can make it bigger the further it goes.  or lower  the less it goes.

On aproach shots to green.  3ft of elevation=1 yd.  of distance.If youre shot is 140 yds. and the elevation on  the flag is 1ft up . 12 divided 3=4.  so add 4 yds.  so 140+4=144yds . If the shot. if its downhill subtract 4 yds. this elevation is on the flag on every hole. Remember everytime you hit the ball,check  elevation, check the wind. I am not  the sharpest knife in the drawer,but if you will read this 2 times and understand my concept . I think this  will help you in you're scores.

I  made this myself if it works for you, GREAT. So dont  be mad at me if you dont like  it.

Huggs Always,Jody!       

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2015 2:50 PM

three putts or more %     22.48 %

Get real Jody

• mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Thu, Aug 6 2015 2:57 PM

I'd rather have a chart to read the dots on the green.

• neverlearn
    2 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2015 9:56 PM

Do you think you could make the 30 foot putter the default putter? I've blown past so many make-able puts when I didn't realize that you'd picked the 60 or 150 foot putter for me. 

Thanks

• JODYSWALLOWS
    448 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2015 5:03 AM

good  i'me glad you dont  like it  so you dont  use  it!

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Sep 18 2015 11:09 AM

I'll be the first to admit that I am an "average" putter...the strength of my game is in driving and wedge play around the green. I have seen a few folks put up formulas for putting and it is appreciated because we all know that putting is probably the most important aspect to scoring. (If you miss a drive by an inch, no problem...a putt?...costs a stroke).

I don't follow all the mathematics of putting simply because I can't be bothered doing all those machinations....my goal is simply to have an enjoyable social experience.

That said, it surprises me that someone who does go through the time and effort to develop, or at least adhere to, a strict putting formula isn't higher in tier than Master.  I achieved Master using starter kit and barely had any part of my game in decent shape....Jody, with the amount of time and effort you put towards your game and running a CC, I cant understand that, by level 95, you aren't at least a TM, if not a legend.

This in no way is meant to offend...you seem like a very nice person...it just struck me as odd.

ct

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 4:12 PM

JODYSWALLOWS:

tourney  greens

If you  have a 20ft. putt  and its  5 inches  down,.  20-5=15.  so 15x .75=11. 25 ,      11. 25  is youre putt. if this putt goes to far  change it to x . 7.  the smaller  the number the less it goes

The above maths are not correct, you should multiply (X) by .75 before you add or take away elevation.  Then add one or two feet, but only  for putts over ten feet.   Long downhill  putts, take away 2 or 3 feet after math.  Wind does affect putts also.

That's only a rough guide, practice will give you a better picture.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Sep 21 2015 4:45 PM

Dubfore:
    The above maths are not correct, you should multiply (X) by .75 before you add or take away elevation.

To each their own Dubfore.  I always figured since the elevation change also was on Champ or Tourney, etc. speed greens then the speed factor applies to elevation as well.  5 inches down on Champ greens is not the same as 5 inches down on Standard greens as far as power goes.  So I calculate as Jody does.  Works for me.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Tue, Sep 22 2015 5:41 AM

I'm only referring to tournament greens (12 stimp) and the stats posted above for those, in my experience.

But with so many changes after the WGT 'updates', I'm sure all our stats will soon become irrelevant history.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Tue, Sep 22 2015 8:48 AM

andyson:

Dubfore:
    The above maths are not correct, you should multiply (X) by .75 before you add or take away elevation.

To each their own Dubfore.  I always figured since the elevation change also was on Champ or Tourney, etc. speed greens then the speed factor applies to elevation as well.  5 inches down on Champ greens is not the same as 5 inches down on Standard greens as far as power goes.  So I calculate as Jody does.  Works for me.

Personally I also take the 75% value (stimp 12 only) before I deal with elevation.  It's ball park good, but nothing fully replaces knowledge for that course, and even that green often, IMO.  After that value is known I would then apply  +/- 1 for each inch up/down (talking ball park remember).

Common sense for inertia (roll on that stimp) after the ball park calc, and as say then local knowledge (practice) - I saw roll covered off with a stop watch in another thread to help explain it - good thread.  I do agree wind (well strong ones) certainly have to be factored in.

Just what I use, and agree a personal thing with certainly more roads to Rome.  Some much more elaborate methods out there also, but the simple stuff will get most up and running well.  They can refine it how they like after that.

RSS