Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • NotFacebookCraw
    49 Posts
    Fri, Mar 13 2015 7:06 AM

WOLF523:

Thank you all guys, if I understand right here are no practice fields like a driving range, out of bunkers or putting greens. Have to practice by playing, which hopefully does'nt mess up my scoring average. Still wondering, how I can miss putts from 0,8 ft. but will practice.

Play practice rounds and make heavy use of the mulligan.  Use the free balls, as mulligans eat up balls quickly.  Find a nice 4-6' sidehill putt and try making it under different styles of putt.  Hit too hard to take the break out on a few and then try to curl one in that just dies as it gets there. 

As far as the .8' putts, use the reverse view, put the line just uphill of center cup and hit it 3'.

• ScottHope
    10,006 Posts
    Sat, Mar 14 2015 12:13 PM
     NotFacebookCraw:
    As far as the .8' putts, use the reverse view, put the line just uphill of center cup and hit it 3'.

In my humble opinion, that's too much power. If WOLF has been 'missing' from 0.8ft, then the chances are that he has been over powering the putt rather than mis-aiming, as you would have to be very ham fisted to misjudge your aim from that distance. Just a gentle tap-in is good enough.
  • knowrest
    461 Posts
    Sun, Mar 15 2015 1:34 PM

I tend to agree with you dambroo. Seems my game gets better then all of a sudden shots (especially chips) and putts go different distances using the same hitting parameters. Just have to learn to laugh it off.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 8:52 AM

Considering what seems to me to be more tweaks to the greens speeds by WGT, does anyone have updated putting calculations for those speeds?

These are the most recent I've been using.

Distance X by speed,  plus or minus 1 foot for each inch of elevation, then add 1 or 2 feet.   

Distance  X   by                speed below  

Slow/standard =               1.1

Fast =               .85

Very Fast =                .80

Tournament =                .75 

Champion =                   .71 

That's a big range to use just one variable number in the calculations.  If the stimp meter (top right in game screen when putting) is 11 it'll be near Very Fast speed and at 12.9 it's pretty much Champ speed.

Below is a rough estimate for a 30 foot putt on a black grid.

Champ Speed (13 stimp) = 72% or 30% less power.

Tournament (12 stimp) = 74% or 25% less power

Fast (9 stimp) = 97% or 3% less power

Slow (7.4 stimp) = 113% or extra 15% power.

• MDWa
    23 Posts
    Sun, Mar 22 2015 4:23 PM

why do we need to laugh it off? I have an honest question. Does WGT continually make changes so we can never get used to 1 set of distances for our putts/drives and approaches? I love this game but it get very frustrating when I just start to get the hang of certain changes they make and then they get changed again.

• knowrest
    461 Posts
    Mon, Mar 23 2015 6:38 AM

You are right MDW, why do we need to laugh it off? I have changed my opinion about laughing off these changes because I notice the same thing is happening when pitching or chipping. Ball in the same depth of rough or fringe and using the same hitting parameters the results are vastly different. When will WGT allow the throwing of clubs so we can relieve the stress like pros?

• dicky62
    5 Posts
    Tue, Mar 24 2015 2:43 AM

Cant thank you enough for this, explained in clearly understandable terms.  Thanks

• bluezs
    1 Posts
    Thu, Jun 25 2015 7:11 PM

Maybe I'm missing something but....I have had a severe down hill put about6ft and I'm given the 150 ft putter. There is no way to get it close much less make the putt. Secondly I've had a severe uphill putt 24 ft and I'm given a 30 ft putter. I've maxed out the putter and it rolls back to me. Just like hitting into a 20 mph wind, which on a course should be two clubs, and its not. The game is more into whether you hit the swing mark more than wind. Same thing with chipping. Also, putting back spin is not realistic. Lastly, this is a decent game but far from realistic.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,567 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2015 8:19 PM

@dubfore  I would add 5% to ur 'slow' and 'fast' calculations.

Fast is a tricky one especially when uphill, think Oakie #18 below the hole 3 feet away on fast, I would hit at least 4.5 feet there.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Fri, Jun 26 2015 8:29 PM

down 6 feet and 24 feet uphill, I would need the 150 meter

plenty of great advice in the tips , ask away and you will see many that will help .

RSS