Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • WOLF523
    55 Posts
    Fri, Feb 27 2015 5:23 AM

I have the most problems with short putting from a few inches to a couple of feet. How to aim the fleche? Even with the right distance the ball passes slightly left or right from the hole or passes over it. I like playing, as a beginner I am doin ok on the fairways but putting is killing me. I appreciate all your help, thanks in advance.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Fri, Feb 27 2015 12:58 PM

WOLF523:

I have the most problems with short putting from a few inches to a couple of feet. How to aim the fleche? Even with the right distance the ball passes slightly left or right from the hole or passes over it. I like playing, as a beginner I am doin ok on the fairways but putting is killing me. I appreciate all your help, thanks in advance.

Well Wolf, this scenero is pretty common at first but can be handled quickly by most by being aggressive to always hit past the hole a foot or two while hitting short or past the white line to fool any break....giant break ? use a giant early or late hit  ;-}

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Fri, Feb 27 2015 1:10 PM

There is no magic answer Wolf, but hopefully the more you play, the better you will become. Experience helps a lot so don't expect too much too soon.

• fitzroy1965
    337 Posts
    Sat, Feb 28 2015 2:11 AM

distance control on putts is key,very hard to master esp. on steep downhill putts. you must take an extra % off downhill putts and only practice and experience [and a good memory]  will help.

• WOLF523
    55 Posts
    Sat, Feb 28 2015 2:25 AM

Thank you all guys, if I understand right here are no practice fields like a driving range, out of bunkers or putting greens. Have to practice by playing, which hopefully does'nt mess up my scoring average. Still wondering, how I can miss putts from 0,8 ft. but will practice.

When I was playing real golf, I did'nt like putting too, but it was never this bad. So long I will only compete in games where I do not need to putt.

Thanking you again, you're great.

• Jresh0817
    1,414 Posts
    Sat, Feb 28 2015 6:38 AM

WOLF523:

PRACTICE-PRACTICE-PRACTICE

No secret here,the more you play the better you will get and start to get feel for greens.I am up to level 97 and still trying to learn to putt :)

• ScottHope
    10,086 Posts
    Sat, Feb 28 2015 9:03 AM
     WOLF523:
    Still wondering, how I can miss putts from 0.8 ft.

The thing about very short putts is not to over hit them. With a 0.8ft putt you will only need just over 3% of your 25ft meter, and even allowing for a little extra distance just to make sure, it is still easy to over power the putt, so watch out for that Wolf. Good luck and have fun.  : )

• DUBWEISER
    25 Posts
    Sat, Feb 28 2015 9:00 PM

"Male and Female avatars have different ranges and movement numbers on the same putters!  For example, Female avatars using the 30 foot starter putter actually have 6 movements with 5 feet per movement instead of 5 for 6 like the men.  Be sure to watch out for this ladies!"

Why is this? I can understand that being the case in terms of driving, but on a putter? I've never played a real round of gold with a female that lacked the power to hit the same distance as any man. This would explain why i see some of the top male WGT golfers using female avatars. I'm sure it's up to user preference but WHY is there a difference in the sexes on putting. I fail to understand the logic in this.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2015 6:12 AM

I'm not long back playing regularly after collecting my toys outside the playpen.

Played a few club games on fast greens, and I'm not sure, but I think the speeds and breaks have changed again?  Am I right?  

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Mar 10 2015 6:38 AM

DUBWEISER:
    I've never played a real round of gold with a female
    0H MY !! Well hang in there, don't give up hope ;-}

RSS