Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • toesmcjimmie1212
    35 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 7:53 AM

I'd love to have a look at your spreadsheet.

My email is toesmcjimmie@yahoo.com

Thanks 

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:54 AM

I was given these putting tips for all green speeds, simple maths with a calculater by your pc and usuing your putter pal.  They work for me, let us know in the forum how it goes for you. 

Distance X by speed,  plus or minus 1 foot for each inch of elevation, then add 1 or 2 feet.   Tweak for breaks and wind and if noticed, minor changes by WGT.

Distance  X   by   speed  

Slow/standard =      1.0

Fast =                         0.85

Very Fast =                 0.90

Tournament =           .75 

Champion =              .71 

That's a big range to use just one variable number in the calculations.  If it's 11 it'll be very near Very Fast speed and at 12.9 it's pretty much Champ speed.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:55 AM

I was given these putting tips for all green speeds, simple maths with a calculater by your pc and using your PutterPal.  They work for me, let us know in the how it goes for you. 

Distance X by speed,  plus or minus 1 foot for each inch of elevation, then add 1 or 2 feet.

Tweak for breaks and wind and if noticed, minor changes by WGT.

Distance  X   by   speed  

Slow/standard =      1.0

That's a big range to use just one variable number in the calculations.  If it's 11 it'll be very near Very Fast speed and at 12.9 it's pretty much Champ speed.

• Dubfore
    4,348 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 10:55 AM

I was given these putting tips for all green speeds, simple maths with a calculater by your pc and using your PutterPal.  They work for me, let us know the how it goes for you. 

Distance X by speed,  plus or minus 1 foot for each inch of elevation, then add 1 or 2 feet.

Distance  X   by   speed  

Slow/standard =      1.0

• localbistro
    237 Posts
    Sun, Oct 19 2014 11:23 PM

hello there I would love to see you spreed sheets, anyway you can send them to me.

Thank you

Andrea

avolpi11@gmail.com

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Mon, Oct 20 2014 12:52 AM

toesmcjimmie1212:

I'd love to have a look at your spreadsheet.

My email is toesmcjimmie@yahoo.com

Thanks 

No problems, sent.

Dubfore:

I was given these putting tips for all green speeds, simple maths with a calculater by your pc and using your PutterPal.  They work for me, let us know the how it goes for you. 

Distance X by speed,  plus or minus 1 foot for each inch of elevation, then add 1 foot.

Distance  X   by   speed  

Slow/standard =      1.0

One thing I would say is that while this is a good base to work from, the actual name of the speed can be quite varied.  Tournament speed for example can be anywhere between 11 and 12.9.  That's a big range to use just one variable number in your calculations.  If it's 11 it'll be very near Very Fast speed and at 12.9 it's pretty much Champ speed.

• PTrenter
    435 Posts
    Mon, Oct 20 2014 1:01 AM

Partsman41953:

I see some people use the chipping method to line up a putt to see the break but I do not see how that works. 

Hi Glenn,  I use the chipping view quite a lot.  You'll find in that view that you can move the dotted grid around with the aim marker.  In reverse putting view you usually* get a decent up and down straight line from ball to cup.  With chip view you can then line the dots up with that line.  Reclicking the mouse button resets the lines if needed.

I find this give a much more easier and accurate reading than just using the default putting grid.  Note to remember:  Your putter scale will reset to default when reverting back from chip to putt shot.

* some courses like Kiawah have shoddy camera angles.  In these case the front view can show a straighter view to work with.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sat, Oct 25 2014 6:00 PM

PTrenter:

Partsman41953:

I see some people use the chipping method to line up a putt to see the break but I do not see how that works. 

Hi Glenn,  I use the chipping view quite a lot.  You'll find in that view that you can move the dotted grid around with the aim marker.  In reverse putting view you usually* get a decent up and down straight line from ball to cup.  With chip view you can then line the dots up with that line.  Reclicking the mouse button resets the lines if needed.

I find this give a much more easier and accurate reading than just using the default putting grid.  Note to remember:  Your putter scale will reset to default when reverting back from chip to putt shot.

* some courses like Kiawah have shoddy camera angles.  In these case the front view can show a straighter view to work with.

Nice tip PT  :)

• AngleOff
    1 Posts
    Tue, Oct 28 2014 1:53 PM

Hi all, just a beginner here......

it took me all of 88 pages of posts on this topic to get the understanding

of the 'forgiveness' zone. %^)

I can comprehend reading the green and the power of the stroke quite easily,

(Doesn't mean I'm any good, just that I comprehend.) but hitting the 'ding' spot

after that is, well,......unforgiving.  There is no forgiveness zone. One dot left or right

of the 'ding' and your putt is gone.

Really should be a 'stroke' timing. Then you can get a true 'feel' of how your hitting

the ball. Instead, your avatar pulls the club back with your power meter, then stands

there like a statue while you look away at the meter trying to hit the 'ding' spot.

There is no feel of your stroke.

I can adjust to this style of play, but the forgiveness zone on putts needs to be larger.

This zone seems quite good on drives, pitches and punches, but is right against the

wall on putts.

AO

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Wed, Oct 29 2014 12:20 AM

AngleOff:

hitting the 'ding' spot

after that is, well,......unforgiving.  There is no forgiveness zone. One dot left or right

of the 'ding' and your putt is gone.

There are quite a few players who are 'Miss the Ding' putters.  Most of time don't move the aim, but click either side of ding in relation to the breaks (dot movement)

RSS