1 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 3:45 PM

Thanks it was very helpful and works

• bhuninghake
    16 Posts
    Wed, Jul 23 2014 5:09 PM

dyashpal:

Hi Nivac

\great advice but what can be done to correct 1's putting if the NON EXISTANT BREAK makes the ball turn on short 4-6 foot putts.

I am plagued because I miss such putts 6 out of 10 times & am so exhasperated I want to give up playing on wgt!!!

dyashpal

legend lvl 96 avg.67.90 (very poor only 'cause short putt leading to missed birdies & bogies 

I used to have that problem to so I started missing the ding to play the break (i.e., if the dots are moving left to right at the hole I would click just short of the center mark or ding)...

Also play practice stroke play by yourself so you can use the mulligan feature and practice your putting - it has helped me ...

Also always view the putt from behind the hole to ensure the break and alignment etc

Hope this helps - it has helped me

• fancygirl4u
    91 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 7:54 AM

Thanks for the tip but what happens when you hit the ball on very fast greens the actual distance it is from the flag but it still stops 1 ft from the green. Or how about when playing on Tourney greens the ball seems to play at fast speed greens. Or maybe even when your putting a downhill shot of 26 ft to the hole including elevation on very fast greens and you putt it at 13 ft and it rolls 37 ft. What is that? It would be real nice if all your suggestions worked but when WGT puts you on their VEM you can for get about it.

Maybe you could suggest they do away with that VEM and play the game right.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 8:19 AM

fancygirl4u:
    Maybe you could suggest they do away with that VEM and play the game right.

Or you could just learn to putt - see this thread as a start.

31% 1 putt and still  blaming VEM.   Utterly ridiculous as ever.

• PBaldwin
    108 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 8:42 AM

VEM is not really going to do anything with a putt.   Just check out this very interesting test someone did below.  It will vary a little bit, but not 5+ ft.

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/195080.aspx

• MainzMan
    9,586 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 10:06 AM

PBaldwin:

VEM is not really going to do anything with a putt.

VEM has nothing to do with any of FancyPipe's problems.

She/he's just rubbish at this game but unable to admit it and looks for phantom plots to justify their poor scores.

• EricVonZipper
    20 Posts
    Wed, Jul 30 2014 10:22 AM

fancygirl4u:

Thanks for the tip but what happens when you hit the ball on very fast greens the actual distance it is from the flag but it still stops 1 ft from the green. 

Meters are not 100% accurate, 1 ft from the > hole< is generally not a bad lag, real golfers generally try to hit PAST the hole, Long is more likely to go in than Short.

fancygirl4u:

Or how about when playing on Tourney greens the ball seems to play at fast speed greens.

Sorry, golf isn't a game played with slide rules. Computer Sims are. If you want to simulate reality, random factors must be introduced, and the occasional grainy green is a very REAL thing ... Be thankful they havn't decided to simulate the effect of unrepaired BALL MARKS on the green.

fancygirl4u:

Or maybe even when your putting a downhill shot of 26 ft to the hole including elevation on very fast greens and you putt it at 13 ft and it rolls 37 ft. What is that?

That sounds like a "CADDY" error ... The WGT "CADDY" sets your putting length according to distance. With my putter, at 15' + 1" the caddy auto sets to 25 ... If I don't reset the caddy and hit the ball figuring on a 15 ft. putt, I'll wind up rolling 10 or 12 feet past the hole. Down hill would be MUCH worse. I'd love to see an option to turn the damn caddy OFF, but until then, it's MY fault for not checking. 

WGT can be pretty frustrating, but NOTHING nearly as bad as what you will see on any public course.

EVZ

• spy88
    205 Posts
    Tue, Aug 12 2014 5:26 PM

Having never utilized the forums for advice until a few weeks ago, I'm "late to the party".  I did read the first 7 pages tho...I know, big deal, you don't know what has been said or posted in the interim, and you're right, I don't.  But I'd like to offer some personal tips that may or may not have been previously given.  I wish I knew how to post pictures but haven't that skill...yet.

After deciding I needed a new putter, I immediately chose the Method because it offered increments in the 10ths .  Then I did as codmot did in his post years ago...added a strip of paper below the power meter.  I sectioned the length in increments of ten from right to left  and marks for half foots also.  When I use the 10' meter, I know that putting 5 1/2' from my paper will result in a 5 1/2' distance on a flat no break green.  This also applies to a 20', a 50', a 100' or a 150' meter as each is divisible by 10.  So a 62' putt is between the 6th and 6 1/2' mark using the 100' meter.

And now we have stimp greens for TM's, L's and TL's.  11's, 12's and 13's.  I have a fairly simple but mostly effective way of quickly calculating how much meter strength to use for each speed.  Please take note that the given info pertains to distance only on straight uphill or downhill putts only!  Obviously, breaking downhill or breaking uphill putts takes a little more calculating!

11's...Remember "6".  If you've a putt of 15' that's 3" uphill, add the inches as if they were feet to the 15.  So now it's 18'.  Divide by 6.  That's 3 so subtract 3 from 17 for a 14' distance.  So I'd put my power mark on the mark just shy of the 15' mark and dead ding it.  You may wish to add 1/2'-1' of power for every 10' of distance uphill.  Better long then short, as we all know "never up, never in".  A downhiller works the same way.  Subtract the inches drop from the foot distance, divide by 6 and maybe take 1/2'-1' off for downhill.  Adding or subtracting the 1/2-1' per 10' is more important the longer the putt.  With a little practice, you can work out your own add/subtract feet to suit.  All putters are different in how they work.

12's...Remember "5".  Same principle as above.

13's...Remember "4".  Again, same principle.

It goes without saying that most (if not all) semi-experienced to very experienced players rarely move the aim line...just ding left to offset a breaking right and visa versa.  A total waste of time unless your putt is very curly!  And, most know that the further away from a dead ding, the less distance your going to go so one must adjust for that.

None of this that works for me, may work for you.  It is only how I do it.  I think the key though, is to have that paper scale.  Without it, I'd have no clue as to the distance I want.  If you can make one for your putter, it will immediately enhance your ability to judge the strength of your putts.  I've since installed a similar piece under the release area graduating out from the center from 0 to 20 per side.  Also a aid for a release point.

The only other thing I suggest is take this to the practice mode and try it.  The 1st and 9th greens on St.A are pretty level.  Practice, practice, practice!  It won't make perfect but perfection isn't the goal.  A workable and quick way to establish how much power to use and when/where to release it is.

Taking this a step further, I've also practiced all the power marks for my 2 thru 64* irons as well so I know what a 7 1/2 mark using a 6 iron will travel.  Also did this with full bs, no s and full ts to include the distance it lands and rolls, stops or backs up.  And for a punch, pitch, chip or flop, but only on my PW/56/60/64 wedges.  I think I got carried away doing my driver tho.  I know how far each mark will drive the ball but also punch it as well, with the 3 spin options also.

Ok...I admit it.  I also can and do use the paper meter for 60/64 wedge shots on a flat 12 stimp green...from 10' to 104'...sometimes better then a putt depending on break and hump.  ;)

If any of this helps just 1 player, I'll have considered it worth posting.

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Aug 13 2014 12:20 AM

spy88:
    It goes without saying that most (if not all) semi-experienced to very experienced players rarely move the aim line...just ding left to offset a breaking right and visa versa. 

Not the case at all if they have great stats (double checked read it right, but apologies if not).

There some good tips in this thread IMO.  When I say that I prefer the quick and simple methods, but you can make up your own mind.  I never went through your calcs, but whatever works for you.  Loads of forum information generally on this though.

Many top players have also posted videos of what they do, and I would look most closely at that personally.  I say top players because some have headline good stats but they come from multi play low wind / easy multi play CC stuff, and so those stats prove not very much.  Bit of common sense allows you to pick through that as to what looks sensible.

spy88:
    Ok...I admit it.  I also can and do use the paper meter for 60/64 wedge shots on a flat 12 stimp green...from 10' to 104'.

10 feet???????

spy88:
    sometimes better then a putt depending on break and hump.  ;)

You just need to learn how to putt better.  

I might wedge from a say the front hollow at Andys #17, but that's about it.  Regardless of a huge debate on wedges and use you will be more accurate putting save real extremes (and then only sometimes).

Appreciate you are trying to help, but in all honesty I responded because I disagree too much, no offense intended.  IMO forget all the fancy calcs, just use simple distance stuff, and learn to read greens using the stuff WGT provides. Get good at that and maybe refine (if a need) later.

• spy88
    205 Posts
    Wed, Aug 13 2014 11:33 AM

Jimbog1964:

spy88:
    It goes without saying that most (if not all) semi-experienced to very experienced players rarely move the aim line...just ding left to offset a breaking right and visa versa. 

Not the case at all if they have great stats (double checked read it right, but apologies if not).

So you are categorically stating that great stats is a direct correlation to players moving the aim line more often then not?  That's a pretty big leap for me to accept, Jim.  No apologies necessary, sir.  My statement reflects what works for me and carried it to the assumption that the majority of good putters did the same.  "Assuming others did this" should have been my wording.  My apologies.

Jimbog1964:
    10 feet???????

spy88:
    sometimes better then a putt depending on break and hump.  ;)

You just need to learn how to putt better.

Jim, never said I used the 10' specifically, just that I had it down to that.  The actual usage of any wedge shots I do on a green are probably 1 in 20, and usually when I want to have fun...not just post a good score.  Again, I did not recommend this, simply stated the I have the data and am able to do it.

As my entire post was to maybe help others, even just one player, I reiterate never advocating anywhere one should do any of it unless they wanted to try it in practice to see if applicable/helpful to them.  In a previous sentence of yours, you say "but whatever works for you" but then you tell me I need to learn to putt better and to forget the "fancy" calcs.".   So iyo, I should toss all I've learned that works for me because you disagree with it?  Which is it, Jim...do what works for me or learn to putt better?  Actually, forget that question.  What works for me is me learning to putt better.   

"Just use simple distance stuff" is what I consider my suggested method. 

I appreciate and thank you for your thoughts.

RSS