Forums

Help › Forums

Re: Putting Tip: Distance Control

Mon, Jan 2 2023 5:14 PM (1,173 replies)
  • mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Sun, Mar 9 2014 11:40 PM

ParFortyseven:
    I am with you, my friend.  I play for the fun of it and many times I play horribly, especially on those #@%&$*& uneven lies.  They make the game for guys like me a real chore instead of fun.  Is there a tutorial for them???

Not the Thread to ask...  but a good UL tutorial for you to read.

For the newbies with putting....  At the start keep it simple.  Read the first page or two of this post.  That will give you a good idea of how to judge the distance you need, with Avatar movements.

When I first started playing the game.... I was and like everybody at the start was the worst putter on this planet...   some say now that I still am....lol.

Then I read this post....   work out the distance first...  then with practice, heaps more games... you wil start to know the rolls of the greens.  

2 putt policy at the start (within reason)   then go from there.

Keep your calculations simple..........   for me when I first started...  Distance to hole and  elevataion...  eg  15ft to pin  + 3up in elvation =  18ft..    Then you work from there with practice. Sometimes with big swings on the green, you have to add or subtrack that...   but it gets easier.    I basically use the same thinking, with minor adjustments now.

Any silly question relating to this post is a good one and there is no need to drag somebody else down for asking it :)

-Roger

• larrytheace1
    25 Posts
    Mon, Mar 10 2014 6:56 PM

Thank you guy's for the help,

I have tried some of your methods and it seems to be a little easier.

the only way to get better is to play.

Thanks again

have a nice day!

• slaminbobby
    10 Posts
    Tue, Mar 11 2014 9:37 AM

This was very helpful as in real golf putting is very challenging. What I find 

upsetting though is when I have 30 footer uphill and hit it short; then when I take my next

put it is all of a sudden level or slightly down hill. I have never been accused of

being color blind but some times the game does not seem very consistent.Also

some of my bunker shots seem perfect but I will end up in another bunker or short

in the rough,very frustrating.

slaminbobby

• ScottHope
    10,012 Posts
    Tue, Mar 11 2014 11:17 AM

When a putt is indicated as uphill Bobby, it doesn't mean it is uphill all the way, it just means the hole is above where your ball is. So if, for example, a 30ft putt was indicated as being 10 inches up, the putt might actualy go uphill 15 inches and then downhill 5 inches, so if you left that one short then it would be a downhiller to finish (depending on how short you left it of course).

• jdfire50
    73 Posts
    Wed, Mar 26 2014 8:18 PM

All this info is gr8 for beginners...but as usual not a thing about how to read or calculate the break of a putt...there has to be a formula out there somewhere and those that have figured it out are just tooooo scared to let others in on the secret...ya ya ya I've read about how fast the balls are moving across the green indicates how great the break is and tells everyone absolutely *** all

• DHS32AZURE
    1 Posts
    Thu, Apr 10 2014 7:44 AM

I wish WGT would offer a putting green to practice on.  Make it so you can select a choice of different slopes and speeds.

• robobbio
    1,188 Posts
    Fri, Apr 25 2014 11:33 AM

you forgot to mention that no matter what the green speed, the greens become radically slower inside 7 or 8 feet. why is this? please fix this most annoying and unrealistic aspect of an otherwise enjoyable game.   

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Apr 25 2014 5:06 PM

jdfire50:

All this info is gr8 for beginners...but as usual not a thing about how to read or calculate the break of a putt...there has to be a formula out there somewhere and those that have figured it out are just tooooo scared to let others in on the secret...ya ya ya I've read about how fast the balls are moving across the green indicates how great the break is and tells everyone absolutely *** all

That's true.   There is a post hanging arund somewhere that I remmeber reading. A bit technical but sounded ok,  not sure where it is.

If you play long enough, you get to know the rolls/speed of the moving dots.

What I did.. I placed them into groups...  slow, med, vfast, fast then went from there.

For Example....  apart from green speed,  on St.A #1... Font Pin... If you land in th same spot all the time,  10ft past pin...   the dots will move in one direction and the same every time. You will get to know where to aim or click meter. Then you just have to get the distance correct....   Easy.   Well not that easy...lol

I presume everybody uses some sought of calculation.  Don't calculate or judge the exact distance to hole and then hit......  this might stop you putts from coming up short, always add a foot or so, 

This also deends on green speed.... but the basics.

10ft to pin + 4 up arrow  =  14ft to pin...    Hit your putt 15/16 foot.  If you hit the putt 14ft then the putt might come up short.

Move the aim past the hole to see if the elevation changes....  sometimes that 10ft, 4 up becomes 10ft ,6up ...   thats when your putts can also come up short.... you can't see the hill behind the hole.

Keep things simple at the start and don't overthink anything

-Roger

• MTBR
    182 Posts
    Sat, Apr 26 2014 6:31 AM

"some of my bunker shots seem perfect ".....   those 2 words don't belong in the same sentence  .......   BUNKER and PERFECT

• Kennylee1954
    8 Posts
    Thu, May 1 2014 6:35 AM

Or go to page 64 of this discussion for member CIASWR who has an Excel spreadsheet you can download.

RSS